Chapter 59: Conclave

Inside the dark realm of the Abyss

An unusual event was taking place. All the demon lords who have shared their power with the current host of Soul Forger Magnus were now having a gathering and have formed a circle in the middle of this obscure world. Three suns, one red, one blue, one black, hanged above in the background, creating a strange aurora of different colours expanding across the horizon. Unlike the other shadows who just had a phantom appearance of a black shape, these particular nine individuals could still be seen in their usual attire and forms just like in their former life, all while gleaming a faint incandescent aura.

The aim of this conclave was to make a rundown of the recent events and to discuss their next course of actions. For long, the departed demon lords have been considered as nothing more than a means to power, a relic of the past. Once the mightiest at their time, now they were nothing but ember of their flame. But every one of them was getting tired of this dull life. They needed stimulation, something else. That was the case until recently, Xenes had come to them with a preposterous proposal.

".....And that's about the quintessence of it. What do you think?" after a long speech explaining his plan, Xenes turned toward his audience, the eight demon lords: Asmodeus, Beelzebub, Belphegor, Devas, Nyx, Beatrix, Sullivan and Lucifer. Needless to say, different reactions from each of them were expected. Some were confused. Some were excited while others remained quiet.

"I don't know what to say....Did you tell Alastor about it?" Beelzebub raised his opinion. This plan Xenes was proposing, it was something Belz has never once thought about before. This long distant dream, if it became reality, then that would change everything. The problem was this would imply a certain ....loss from the boy he was rather fond of.

"We haven't really done anything so far so I don't think that's necessary, yet. Though all the preparations are ready and all we need is a 'Yes'. Eventually I will tell him, but I believe now it's not the appropriate time." Xenes replied.

"Why not now?" asked Devas.

"He won't be happy about the fact that this has led to Odium's demise. Well it was her plan and I merely lent a hand but in the end, we didn't tell him much so he might not like that."

"You are playing a dangerous game, dragon! If Alastor found out that you used his daughter for this...." Said Belphegor.

"He will do what? Kill me? I am already dead! And even if I am alive, do you think he can beat me? Actually, let's compare Alastor to everyone around here, see who is stronger!" proposed Xenes.

"If we go with pure power without taking in account strategy and items, I would say that Alastor is the fourth strongest among us ten." Devas expressed.

"Fourth? To me, he would be third. Who is the third one then?" asked the dragon.

"Well...Beatrix." The slime turned to the hooded woman who sat in a corner. Discerning that she was being stared at, the chained woman glared back at him. Even though her face wasn't clearly shown because of the hood, she sent a certain chill to his inexistence spine.

"....Beatrix doesn't count. No offense to the lady of course!" Xenes quickly apologized to the witch before continuing speaking. "But that ability is just cheating. It just completely ignores strength, magic, defence and bam you die. Thankfully, Alastor didn't inherit that."

"Alastor didn't receive all of our power you know. He only has what Magnus gave to us after we became demon lord. What we obtained on our own are still here. Some are good; some can be pretty useless, at least for a certain person..." Lucifer muttered.