00. READY? RUN

-

-

-

-

"You're a dick."

"Michael, you're being ridiculous."

"You're such a dick, Calum!" The red-haired boy whined as he slouched down further in the bus seat. He'd made sure to pick one of the empty seats towards the back of the bus where no one would be able to see him wallowing away in his own self-pity brought upon him by none other than his dumbass of a best friend. He sighed and then proceeded to drag his hand down the length of his face dramatically as he held his phone to his ear, "You should have told me you wouldn't be able to make it before I got on the damn bus!"

"Michael, how was I supposed to know whether or whether not you were on the bus already?!" Calum shouted into the speaker frustratedly, causing Michael to flinch away from his phone momentarily.

The two of them had been going at it over the phone for the past seven minutes now and Michael was beginning to physically hear how tired Calum was getting of him. But, alright, in all fairness, it wasn't like it was Michael's fault - if Calum had only decided to actually use his brain and tell Michael that he wouldn't be able to make it to the school trip because he was sick before Michael had gotten on the coach bus headed for New York City, then Michael sure as hell wouldn't have been trapped in the little predicament he was in now.

The pale boy slouched in his seat, took a deep breath and shut his jade eyes in annoyance, "Let me get this straight, for the past half hour, I thought you've been riding in the bus behind us, following us into the city, when in reality you've been laying in bed with a one hundred plus fever, watching Big Bang Theory?"

Michael could hear the sound of a nose being blown on the other end of the line and he grimaced, actually finding it in him to pity the Maori boy just a little bit. He sounded like a mess, to be completely honest. Calum coughed loudly and spoke through a congested nose, "I finished all the seasons of Big Bang Theory, I've moved onto Friends, now. If you actually fucking read my texts, you would know that."

"This wasn't the plan," Michael groaned painfully and let his head fall against the glass window of the coach bus. It was currently housing around another twenty five or so of his classmates, if you would even dare call them that - they were more so just people Michael happened to brush past in the hallways on a day-to-day basis. "You were supposed to be here, you assface! We were supposed to walk around the city for the entire day, weren't we? What happened to that?!"

"Jesus Christ, Michael," Calum mumbled and made an exasperated sound at the back of his throat. "My immune system decided to shut down today, okay, that's what happened. You can still ditch the trip and walk around New York on your own, it's not the end of the world."

"Forget it, kiss my ass. I'm unfollowing you on Instagram," Michael muttered into the speaker before pulling his phone away from his ear and ending the call. He grumbled to himself as he slid his phone back into the front pocket of his black jeans and leaned his head back into the seat. The sound of his peers around him jabbering and cackling loudly from the front of the bus with one another while the bright-haired boy sat to himself, completely alone and Calum-less in the back, only made him feel worse. He hadn't been this disappointed since he found out MCR wasn't actually getting back together and the little footnote on their website was a torturous false-alarm.