Part 6.1: Poveglia Island

“Are we gonna keep this a secret forever?” I wrapped his arm around my shoulders and laid on his chest.

         “Huh?” He wasn’t paying attention. I should have known UFC night wasn’t the best time to bring this up.

                “Are we gonna tell anybody or just surprise everyone with invitations?” I looked up at his blank face and jumped when he screamed at the television when it went to commercial.

                “I’m sorry, babe, what are you talking about?” He scooted out of the giant couch and headed to the fridge for the new flavor of Ben & Jerry he just had to buy five cartons of.

                “Our engagement…the wedding…letting people know it’s actually happening…” I followed him, a little annoyed that he kept putting it off. I mean, we talked about it all the time and had most of the details sorted out but the only people that knew were the boys, of course. “Our friends knew before our family, that’s kind of bad, Zak,” I leaned against the island and crossed my ankles. “I know you have issues with your family and whatever but I would like mine to be there for this.”

                “Hey, now,” he mumbled with a mouth full of ice cream, “I want my family to be there too…” he trailed off, shoveling another spoonful into his mouth. “I just want to do it in person is all, this is a big deal.”

                “Exactly, which is why we should do it soon before we need to send out the invitations next week.” I rolled my eyes with a sigh and shuffled back over to the couch as the commercials ended. I was beginning to get a bit fed up; I know it’s the guy thing to do when a couple gets married to wait until the last minute to do anything but why not tell your parents that you’re getting married? If it was as big of a deal as he said it was, why not pick up the phone and call?

                “Babe,” I heard him behind me in the kitchen, rustling around, “you can tell your parents, okay. You can tell them whenever you want to,” he plopped on the couch with another carton of my favorite flavor and a spoon. I smiled up at him and popped off the lid and dug in. “I just need a bit more time for this, okay? Don’t worry, if they get a surprise invitation, then so be it. They’ll get over it.” He wrapped his arm back around my shoulders as I nodded and stuck the spoon in my mouth.

                I heard the honk of Billy’s car and screamed up to Zak like always. I was getting really anxious for this lockdown; Zak finally told the boys about my “abilities” and they wanted me to put it to the true test. I wasn’t too keen on the idea of them wanting to go back to Italy for this…after what happened last time…but it was nice that they were giving me a chance.

                “Zak! I’m going to leave without you!” I shoved my last bag into the back of Billy’s car and crawled into the back seat.

                “Hold your horses! I’m coming!” he came running out the door, closing the door behind him saying goodbye to Ridley.

                “Dude, I swear sometimes you take longer than a chick to get ready to go,” Billy laughed and put Zak’s bags in the back.

                “Oh, ha ha, like I’ve never heard that before,” Zak sneered and slammed the passenger door. “On to Starbucks!” was the chant that sounded through the car as the radio was turned up.

                This was the first time I was ever nervous to fly. I had flown so many times, it was like second nature to speed through security and find the gate, but this was the longest flight I had ever been on; I had never flown out of the country. Zak tried to explain to me that I had nothing to be worried about and that I would probably sleep the whole way anyway but knowing that we were gonna be 30,000 feet above the middle of the ocean made me a little uneasy.