Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter two: Cupcake

"You know, for someone who hates horror movies, you have a rather impressive collection," Luke shouts from my living room.

I quickly shovel the remainder of the popcorn into the large bowl and bin the packet on my way out. Leaving my kitchen and entering my living room, I find Luke lying flat on his stomach ransacking my DVD collection.

"Most of those are Dan's; he liked horror movies," I say, hauling a handful of popcorn into my mouth like the graceful lady I am.

Luke snaps his head to the side and eyes me suspiciously, his shimmering blue eyes meeting my boring green ones in the process. He offers me an apologetic look while going to stand up.

"Sorry for bringing up 'he who shall not be named,'" he says, placing a hand in the popcorn bowl and taking some for himself.

I laugh at the nickname, then almost choke on the mouthful of popcorn I'm halfway through chewing.

"It's fine. It's been almost a year now, you know," I say, sitting myself down on my couch and facing the TV.

"Has it been that long?" Luke asks, shock lacing his voice.

I nod my head in response, offering him a weak smile.

Dan is my ex-boyfriend. We met at university and were together for a total of two and a half years until life oh-so-kindly decided to get in the way. He got offered a job in Scotland not long after we graduated, and it was simply an opportunity he couldn't refuse.

Cue the heartbreak.

He'd asked me to go with him initially, but I declined as I didn't want to leave London.

Or Luke.

When the time finally came, we ended things on good terms, and even though we no longer stay in touch, I still have him on Facebook and every so often I check up on him to see how he's doing.

Luke and Sasha had both been my rock during that Godawful time and the pair completely respect my decision to never talk about him.

Hence, the very fitting nickname Luke deems appropriate.

I'm brought out of my thoughts when Luke takes a seat next to me, causing the couch to dip slightly. He reaches out and grabs my hand firmly in his, the suddenness of his touch sending a warm spark pulsing up my arm. I find myself taking comfort in our small contact and secretly enjoy the moment for what it is.

"Love you, cupcake," he whispers, causing a huge grin to spread across my face.

Hearing that nickname brings a memory flooding back to mind and I can't help but smile as I remember.

~~~

"Maya, please let me in before I break your fucking door down!" Luke's voice sounds frustrated from the other side of my door.

I bury my face further into my pillow in the hopes of drowning his voice out.

Much to my annoyance, this doesn't work. I can still hear him hammering on my door like a maniac. Peeling my extremely tender, not to mention tear-stained face off my pillow, I finally speak.

"Just go away, Luke. I want to be left alone," I say, sounding completely exhausted.

The hammering suddenly stops, and I hear him puff out a tired breath.

Thank God, he actually listened.

I slump back onto my bed, covering my eyes with my arm, allowing another wave of tears to spill over.