xvi. storm

The lights went out in the house just as Connor was about to plug in his phone to charge. He groaned, throwing his head back. "Just my luck." Whispered Connor, shaking his head. Connor made his way to the kitchen without breaking anything.

"Did the lights go off or did I just become blind?" Asked Jacob, making Sage laugh. Connor rolled his eyes naturally, and sat down beside Troye. "So Connor Franta, how did you meet our little Troye Mellet here?"

Troye wrapped his arm around Connor, kissing his shoulder. "We'll forward our autobiographies in six weeks." Said Troye, pulling Connor close. He felt as Connor relaxed into him. "How about you, Jacob? What have you been doing?"

Tyde flashed a light towards them. "We're talking about Jacob's love life, are we? Didn't know we were sharing scary stories, I have a few."

"Like how you don't know what to do with your life, scary." Remarked Jacob. Connor glanced at Tyde, who smiled at him.

"At least I'm not pining for someone I'll never get." Said Tyde, scoffing. "Troye, I'm going to go pick up mom and dad before the storm gets worse. Sage, they asked me to tell you to go get some snacks for tomorrow."

Sage groaned. "Jacob, please give me a ride?"

"Jacob needs to drive me." Said Tyde. Everyone looked at him. "What? I'm disgusted with the idea too but he's the only one who drives."

Troye laughed. "Oh the irony of it all."

Jacob hummed. "Fine, but you better give me gas money. We'll talk later, Connor Franta."

Connor watched as Jacob left, rolling his eyes. "Not likely." Whispered Connor. Troye laughed, turning to look at him. "Shit, sorry."

"That's alright." Said Troye, kissing his nose. "Wouldn't want you alone with him either way."

"Me? More like you. He's obviously in love with you." Connor's eyes widened. "I-I-I'm sorry."

Troye laughed. "You haven't noticed it yet? Our friend Jacob here doesn't fall in love, Connie. He simply likes whoever doesn't pay attention to him. And who out of all of us doesn't care for him?"

"Tyde." Whispered Connor. Troye nodded, leaning over to turn off the candle lighting up the room. "Now c'mere while everyone is out of the house."

**

Connor stared out at the ocean. Watching as the water rippled every now and then from the kids splashing against the water. So Jacob likes Tyde? What a hard thing to understand. Is Tyde even gay?

He glanced over at Tyde, who was talking with Sage. He glanced over at Jacob and Troye. Jacob glanced over at Tyde, biting his lip. Connor nodded. He didn't like Tyde, he was lusting over him. Tyde got up from his spot and walked over to Connor.

"Why are you staring at me?" Asked Tyde. Connor furrowed his eyebrows, his brain still catching up. "You've been staring at me all day, Connor. What's up?"

Connor blinked. "I'm sorry, Tyde. I-I didn't notice."

Tyde hummed, looking over Jacob and Troye. "Did something happen?"

Connor shook his head. "No, no. It's just-" Connor bit his lip. He glanced at Troye, who was looking at him. Troye furrowed his eyebrows, glancing at Tyde then at Jacob. Then Troye understood.

Troye slowly shook his head, almost as telling Connor not to say anything. Connor bit his lip harder, opening his mouth. Troye started to walk towards them.

"Jacob likes you." Whispered Connor. Tyde blinked, Troye sighed. Tyde turned around to look at Troye.

"You knew?" asked Tyde, shaking his head. "That's fucked up."

Troye glanced at Connor. "He's not that bad, Tyde. Give him a chance."

Tyde laughed, shaking his head. "Not that, the fact that you'd let me talk so shitty about him when you knew how he felt. More so, how I feel. He fucked you up, Troye. How could you keep him around?"

"Where's this coming from? You were fine with him before, why this pent-up anger now? We're at the beach, Ty. Enjoy yourself."

Tyde scoffed, standing up. "Enjoy the sun when I know the guy who fucked up my brother wants to fuck me? Yeah, no thanks."

Connor looked down at his hands. Shit, he thought.

"He hasn't made any advances, has he? It's no big deal." Said Troye, scoffing. "He didn't fuck me up, Tyde. I am my own person, you know. I'm not some fucking kid!"

Tyde looked at Connor. "Do yourself a favor and don't come back, Connor." Connor looked up at him. "Australia makes people forget their common sense."

Connor hugged himself. "I'm sorry, Tyde." He whispered. Tyde patted Connor's shoulder.

"It's fine." And with that, he left.

"I told you not to fucking tell him." Troye snapped. "What the fuck, Connor?"

Connor looked away from Tyde. "I'm sorry." Whispered Connor. "You gave me a fucking look, how was I supposed to decipher that?"

Troye scoffed. "Whatever." He left, walking back to Jacob. Connor watched him. Watched as Jacob threw an arm around Troye, comforting him. Jacob looked back at Connor. It started to rain and Connor watched as his tears were hidden by the rain drops.