Ten

Ten

A hushed fear swept over Egypt, and the palace was seized under its cold grip. The corridors fell quiet, and in the shadows seemed to lurk volatile danger. At night, I slept little; and though the guard in question had been captured, my eyes remained ever watchful. He was our only suspect, and if convicted, his sentence would be a heavy one. The assassination attempt of the king was a far more heinous crime than looting tombs, more threatening to Pharaoh, Divinity of Egypt, whose temperament shifted as the days passed.

I wanted to be at ease, but my fears of a conspiracy left me afraid at all times. Who wanted to harm Ahmose, and why? Someone wanted him dead and would likely try to kill him again; the dead serpent planted in my sleeping quarters had left me with a sense of foreboding.

Feeling I would be safest in the wing most heavily guarded, I was permitted to leave my chamber and move to one in the heart of the vicinity. I was deeper in the marble enclosure, though glad to be closer to Ahmose. Guards of the greatest sentinels would protect us during the days, and guard our wing during the nights. We were safe, for now at least.

This morning the servant came by, bearing the items I requested for bathing and presenting myself, along with an additional basket. She left the items on the table for me. I eyed the additional basket curiously and began sorting through it immediately, wondering what it was for. I slipped my hand inside, and what my fingertips brushed was pleasantly soft. I pulled out a bundle of clothing, and on top was a folded piece of parchment.

I opened the parchment first and dabbled neatly in Latin, a note was written for me addressed from Ahmose. I traced my fingers over his words, admiring his elegant script, imagining his careful hands as he wrote my name.

Kara

My eyes savored each word as I read, memorizing his handwriting. The sound of his voice murmured softly in my ear, and memories rattled in my mind. My face felt hot, as if it had been caressed by his warm fingers. He was hosting a banquet this evening to celebrate his miraculous recovery, and requested my presence.

I folded the parchment back into its perfect square and pulled the garments from the basket. Wrapped within their rich fabrics was a golden ornate box with a scarab trinket on top. The scarab was painted black, and stood prominently against the golden box with its wings spread wide, as if it wanted to take flight. I grasped it and lifted the lid, finding an array of gems inside. Titling the box, they tumbled out onto the table, shimmering in the daylight. Amongst them were golden bracelets, amulets, rings inlaid with jewels, and a beautiful lotus hairclip fashioned from carnelian. I held it in my hand and turned it around, the scarlet petals casting thousands of sparkles on my fingers.

I sorted through the other pieces thoughtfully, marveling their intricate details, coming to a silver ring with two lotus designs fitted in the center. Within the tiny lotuses were hints of turquoise, lapis, and carnelian. They were all so beautiful, more beautiful than anything I'd ever seen. These were the kinds of riches lost to time, gems that had been touched by Ahmose's hands.

He felt indebted to me, but I was unworthy of such extravagant gifts. I wasn't used to receiving gifts, especially a small fortune's worth. But I was so flattered he had even thought of me. A simple thank you would have sufficed, but to go to this extremity only proved he was genuinely grateful. Butterflies settled gently in my stomach.

I couldn't wait to see him, but at the same time, I was very nervous. He hadn't elaborated who the guest list comprised of, and considering the lavish garbs he had sent for me to wear, this seemed like an important event. Large gatherings made me uncomfortable, but I was more nervous about seeing him in a party setting. I didn't know what to expect from his Egyptian customs, and visions of half-naked women dancing around him suddenly came to mind. My stomach turned.