Chapter-3 Hard at Dawn

The sun had risen and the company had set off toward their destination.

Small banter and happy laughter could be heard throughout the dwarves.

Erin was riding next to Gandalf on a strange beast of her own. The mount was larger than that of a regular lion, with fur as white as starlight and a mane so full, you'd think the beast head would droop. Erin called him Eirian from her native tongue.

He did draw a bit of attention from the company that morning, "What is that beast?" Ori asked.

Gandalf had to go into a bit of detail about it, of course he only knew what the girl had told him. Thorin had been glancing at the hooded figure for most of their start, alert at Erin's presence now, and wondering why they did not wish to speak.

Gandalf and Erin were discussing among themselves, "You think he will really come? I thought he might not after Bofur scared him off."

"I know he will my dear girl," the wizard just winked and sat back up. They had been leaning towards each other.

Erin chuckled and said," Then I bet you ten coins he will not show."

"Gladly," the wizard smiled and quickened his horses speed moving up.

The girl just shook her head and continued riding.

Fili and Kili had come up on either side of her, "That's quite the beast you have there," Fili commented.

"And a very proud one, where exactly did it come from?" Kili wondered.

Gandalf saw the two dwarves were trying to talk to the girl and called to them, "Fili, Kili! Would you mind traveling at the back for a bit? Best the young ones keep the rear secure." The two just scowled, but obeyed all the same.

A few minutes after their conversation Erin heard shouting and turned to see Bilbo running toward them.

She sighed. She knew better than to bet Gandalf, but she couldn't help to take the other side of the conversation with him sometimes.

"Wait! Waaaaiiiit!" The party came to a stop as the hobbit approached, holding the contract up, "I signed it!" He said smiling widely as he handed it to Balin.

The dwarf took out his magnified spectacle and glanced over the signature, "Everything appears to be in order! Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

Heheys went around along with many relieved faces. Erin was excited for the hobbit, and it was especially entertaining when Thorin ordered to give Baggins a pony.

He objected, "No no no. That won't be necessary. I'm sure I can keep up on foot. I-I-I've done my fair share of..walking holidays." Bilbo boasted on his 'walking skills' as Fili and Killi lifted him onto a pony.

Erin had fallen to the middle, staying close to the hobbit lest something happen to him. Bilbo held the reins to his mount awkwardly as they thudded along.

The ride was peaceful, even as the bets were being paid, "Come on Nori! Pay up!"

The funny looking dwarf threw a coin purse back to Oin who caught it cheerfully. Other bags were being tossed as Erin rode to the left of Bilbo. She silently waited for a cue to 'pay up' on her side.

She heard the hobbit ask Gandalf, who was riding to his right, "What's that about?"

"Oh, they took wagers, on whether or not you'd turn up..Most of them bet that you wouldn't."

"And what did you think?" Bilbo wondered. Uncertainty on his face as a few second passed, then the wizard skillfully caught the purse flying towards him.