Chapter Five

A/N: Hii! If any of you guys are taking the time to read my story I just want to say that it means so much, I really hope you all like it. :)

If any of you have any suggestions or thoughts on the story so far, please leave a comment, I would really be interested in hearing what you have to say! <3 

Xo,

Emily

•·.·'¯'·.·•

Amelia had only spent a night aboard The Rogue when she was awoken from her sleep to the sound of shouting above her. Someone was yelling orders, presumably James. Normally she wouldn't be concerned, but this sounded serious. She bolted upright and nearly fell out of her cot. Her clothes were dirty even after the strenuous amount of time she spent washing them, but she didn't care. It was going to take some getting used to not being fitted in a corset.

It was a bit unsettling to think that the most wanted criminal was steering this ship, but as long as no one figured out who she actually was, she would be fine.

"What's going on?" She asked groggily when she made it up, to whom James answered.

"A bloody royal ship is trying to sink mine!" He yelled angrily above the commotion. "I don't know why the King's soldiers are after me. I've never done a thing to his castle. Yet," he huffed. He gripped onto the wheel strongly and veered it all the way to the left, trying to turn it in the opposite direction.

Amelia gulped. She knew exactly why they were attacking James and his men, but she couldn't possibly tell him and risk herself. The ship was rocking slightly back and forth from the large waves hitting it, and she could feel herself begin to get nauseous. Every so often she would hear a cannon go off from the other ship and duck, her body shaking from the trembling of the boat. It was hard to make out anything in the darkness.

At a particularly forceful one, she was almost thrown backwards.

"Captain! They've hit the hull! Water is starting to flow in!" One of the men shouted from above.

James cursed under his breath and exclaimed, "I don't even know what they want from me. Well, don't just stand there! Patch it up! Get to work!"

Out of nowhere, the royal ship came up close and rocked forcefully against The Rogue, knocking some of the crew over. Amelia gasped and flailed for half a second, positive she was going to hit the deck, before James reached out and helped her back onto her feet.

"Thanks," she said quietly, trying hard not to look into his eyes.

"Go back down to the bunkroom," James instructed, unusually calm for the situation he was in. "We'll take it from here."

Amelia stood her ground and persisted, "No... I want to stay here and be of some assistance."

"The King's men are coming on board, so I suggest you stay out of their way," he said firmly, and when she looked over she noticed he was right: James' men had stopped fighting back and her father's soldiers were already making their way on board.

"But I—" Amelia paused. She wanted badly to tell him the truth but now wasn't the best time. With one final warning look from James, she hurried back under the deck and listened carefully. The floorboards above her creaked with the footsteps of the men.

"Captain Kelley," The General confronted him, and she could hear him draw his sword. She peered up through a hole in the floorboard and saw at least twenty soldiers aboard, inspecting the ship curiously. "It's been a long time since we last met."