Chapter 15

"What's your excuse this time, Derrick?" Michael asked, sliding across from him at the back of the pub.

A group of men surrounded Kristina at the bar, buying her shots for her twenty-first birthday. She'd mostly kept out of trouble in the last year, but she still put herself in precarious situations. Never worrying about walking down a dark alley alone, as though she knew he'd save her. She hadn't called out for him in a while, but every so often, she gazed up at the rooftops as though she knew he was protecting her.

"You need to let her go," Michael continued. "You said you'd quit when she turned twenty-one. She's an adult now, even if she doesn't act like one."

"Sometimes she acts like an adult," Derrick said. "She's almost finished college. It's been slow going, but she's trying. It's not easy paying your way on a waitressing job."

Mike snorted. "Especially when you drink away half your tips nightly."

Derrick glared at his brother, even though he knew it was true. Every time he heard Kristina say she'd never do it again, she did. She was just lonely. Not that she had a lack of dates, but she was lonely for someone who cared.

"I want to talk to her."

"The family won't allow it. She's a liability. And if it didn't work ... "

Derrick drilled a gaze at his brother again. "It'd never happen. I think I made myself clear on that. She hasn't said a word all these years. Obviously, she's forgotten."

"What if she recognizes you? You'll only look a few years older to her," Michael said, as if he had to remind him what he looked like.

"I think I'm in love with her."

"Derrick, you don't even know her."

"You're wrong. I know everything about her. For the last year, all I can do is think about her. I know her walk, her scent, her voice ... I know that she only reveals her real self to her best friend. I've listened to her share her dreams with Beth, dreams of what she wants, what she wants to accomplish. She has just as much drive as Janelle had ... but Janelle had a home, parents who loved her." He shook his head. "And I know she fights invisible demons in her sleep, just as I do every night. I know that she blames herself for Janelle's death. I know that she dreams about moving somewhere safer and warmer, where I'll never see her again. I know that she's lonely. And ... I think she's waiting for me."

"Damn, Bro, you're a regular stalker."

"You know it's nothing like that. I've only protected her. But now, it's there. The connection that I never understood, the reason I could never fall for another woman. My heart skips a beat every time I hear her voice. I'm not just worried about her anymore ... I want to meet her — personally. Who knows, I might be like one of the other guys she meets, and she might turn me down flat, and then, you'll win. I'll walk away. But shouldn't I get a chance? We're the perfect age for each other now."

Mike shook his head. "She's still too young, dude. Few humans make lifelong relationship decisions at twenty-one, and she drinks too much. She'd be a liability. Maybe in a few years the family will approve it. And what about Tori? I thought you two were getting along."

Derrick raised an eyebrow. "I hope you aren't still calling her Tori. She hates it." Derrick shook his head. "And we get along fine. Always have. We work together, have fun together, but that's it. I've told her how I feel. I can't help it that my heart doesn't practically leap out of my chest when she walks into the room."

"Every other man's does," Michael said, laughing. "You're insane. She's perfect."

"I know, and I've been honest with her. It's never going to happen, Mike. She, you, and the rest of the family need to realize that. I'm tired of repeating myself. In fact, let's go."

Derrick jumped up with one fleeting look at Kristina, who was too drunk to recognize him right now anyway. All that he could do was hope she'd get home safely. He didn't follow her anymore. He just made sure she was at home. If she wasn't, he just made sure no one was killing her, but he had no desire to listen to her on a date with another man.

When he reached his car, he called his father, letting him know he planned to put in his official request. He didn't care anymore. He knew what he wanted, what his soul wanted, the reason he couldn't fall for another woman. He'd just needed to wait until they were closer in age. Now that she was twenty-one, and he looked twenty-five, they were perfect for each other. Yeah, he'd be alone for a few years if it worked out, but he knew she was the one he wanted forever.

A few more years, the council agreed ... he only had to wait a few more years. He knew that would be better anyway, even if he didn't want to admit it. If she didn't get married, and he didn't fall for someone by the time she was twenty-five, the family agreed that she'd be old enough to make a decision.They were mostly concerned about her drinking, but Derrick was pretty sure she could walk away from alcohol if she wanted. They'd warned him, though ... If they did attempt a relationship, and she didn't fall, if it didn't work, he'd have to accept the consequences. He'd agreed, even though he knew he'd never let anyone touch her, regardless of what she decided.