CHAPTER TWO

She didn't pack immediately like her mother told her to. Instead, Abigale moved to her bed and stared through blurred vision at her blank, white ceiling as sobs wracked her body. The day, only half gone, had been a whirlwind of events. First, her parents had another nasty fight, Lauren humiliated her, and now she was being forced to move in the middle of the school year without any explanation.

Abigale thought about Tiffany, and how the two had grown up together, becoming inseparable. Would Tiffany ever forgive her for leaving? It's not like she had a choice in the matter, but still. If Tiffany were moving to another city nearly five hundred miles away, she wouldn't be that understanding.

Then there's a new school to think about. Abigale was never good at making friends, so having transfer to a new high school in the middle of the semester where she knew nobody was going to be a big challenge.

"I don't hear you packing!" her mother yelled from downstairs.

Abigale sighed, wiping the tear away with her hand and dragging herself off the comforter. Looking around her room, she prioritized what she wanted to take with her. Then she got started.

***

Abigale locked herself into her room that night, well, what was left of it. The room, cluttered and disorganized a mere day ago, was almost completely gutted. She had turned on her laptop and was scrolling through her Facebook inattentively when she decided to call Tiffany. The two talked almost every night about nearly everything. It was usually a time for Abigale to vent to her friend about how unfair a teacher had been or discuss the reasons why another student was bugging her. Tonight, however, the conversation would be distinctly unusual.

"Hey, Abby!" Tiffany's voice came over the line almost immediately after Abigale dialled the number. She tensed at Tiffany's cheerful voice. How would Tiffany react when she told her the news? What could she try to say that might soften the blow? Nothing seemed to arise in her mind.

They exchanged pleasantries first, which gave her some time to plan what she was going to say, but as soon as the silence came, Abigale felt herself blurting out the words she didn't want to say. "I'm moving."

Right after she said it, she wished she hadn't. She could picture Tiffany's eyes widening, her mouth dropping open in shock. Abigale knew this because she herself had once been on the receiving end of the same devastating message. That had been four years ago, when her childhood friend moved to Canada.

The line was silent for a few moments. Abigale sat in silence and waited for Tiffany to process the news.

Then Tiffany said, "Very funny, Abigale."

Denial. Great. Just great, Abigale thought to herself, putting the palm of her hand against her forehead. "I'm not kidding, Tiff."

"Well, you must be joking. Nobody just decides to get up and leave in the span of a few hours. You—what do you mean you're moving?"

"When I came home, Mom was already packing up the house. She told me that we're moving to Arcata," Abigale paused. Her throat burned as she bit back her tears. "I have a feeling something h—happened with Dad while I was gone."

"You—you can't move to Arcata, Abigale! What about school? What about us?"

Abigale shook her head. "I don't have a choice, Tiff. I begged her, but she wouldn't have it. We're leaving tomorrow morning."

She could hear sniffling on the other end of the line, and it caused her heart to ache.

"What am I supposed to do without you, Abby?"