Interview by the Author of Horrifying New Start series TheVelvetRose

Interview Questions

Answered by the Author TheVelvetRose 

Main Questions:

1.    What inspired You to write the book(s)? 

When I first thought about the Horrifying New Start series, it was just a random idea I had when I was in the car. I usually have ideas going through my head when I’m riding in the car. I don’t really know why the idea hit me about aliens. I tend to have extremely random and crazy ideas.

2.    How did you start writing? 

The first time I had ever written was when I was around ten and things were kind of rough for me and my family. I just randomly whipped out a book and began writing about an adventure (which was strange considering I hated to read when I was young.) I think the Chronicles of Narnia had inspired me at that time. But when I really started pursuing writing was when I was in middle school and just bought my first laptop. I had read the Twilight series and had been so obsessed that I wrote fan-fictions. That eventually spread to writing my own books when I discovered how fun it was to write.

3.    What was your favorite part of the book(s)? 

There’s so many parts in the HNS series… I guess what really stands out to me oddly is the part where Jack finds Samantha at her house after she managed to escape his ship. I loved that scene because he’s always so worried about her.

4.    What was the hardest part to write in the book(s)? 

I think it was hardest to write the conflict Samantha had internally over which guy to choose. When I first wrote the series she was going to end up with Zach. I had it set for it to end with them. But then I had my own conflict when I started writing more with Jack in it. Honestly, it wasn’t until half way through the third book until I actually decided for her to be with Jack. That was tough to write.

5.    What did you wish was different about the book(s)? 

There’s so much I wish was different. As I’m editing them, I’m changing what I wish was different, mostly. I guess I’d change how Daniel was introduced. I don’t like how I wrote that and would change it if it weren’t such a big role throughout the rest of book.

6.    What are your favorite authors/books? 

Currently I love Richelle Mead, the author of The Vampire Academy. I love those books.

7.    If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why? 

Ian Somerhalder. He is the most gorgeous man ever and I’m really curious about him as a person.

8.    What sparked the idea for your novel? 

I think I was blasting some Evanescence at the time. I’m going to say that their music brought the inspiration. As for how I thought of it? No idea. I really wish I knew.

9.    How personal is your writing? 

I think it’s very personal. Although my characters may not be anything like me, I still feel anxious when someone I know reads my books. It terrifies me when a family member or a friend wants to read something I’ve written because I fear they might think “That’s what she’s been thinking?” After all, these stories are from my imagination. I value my imagination more than anything.

10.  What is your writing routine? 

I am a mega-procrastinator. Most of my chapters are written in spurts. I write when I feel like it and if the mood is right. Usually I have a giant cup of coffee next to me, my TV on something I’ve already seen before, my door shut so that no one can distract me, and my room has to be dimly lit. I don’t even know why. I hate writing when the lights are too bright. That’s why I mostly write at night.

11.  Which comes first? The character's story or the idea for the novel?  

For this series, the story came first. It took me a while to come up with Samantha, Zach, and especially Jack.

12.  What Is Your Favorite music to listen to while writing?  

I currently love listening to Lana Del Rey, Florence + The Machine, and anything else that sounds like music you would run to.                                                           

Stupid Random Questions:

      13. Why do all the superheroes wear underpants on the outside? 

So that the world knows they are “special.”

      14. Why are Violets Violet? Can't they be other colors? 

Because the color violet is awesome.

By the Interviewer Herself: 

I Really  love Thevelvetrose's work because it is really cool how she made up her own planet and race. I would recommend the HNS series to anyone!