{8} Out of Pity

I am so sorry that this took so long to update. I got distracted with my other story. You know, I was just..... On a role. Anyway, I haven't read through this chapter but I wouldn't be surprised if the writing style changed at a certain point. I kinda wrote half of it and then left it. Well, I hope you enjoy!
I just realized how much of a cliffhanger I must of left it.

~

Rika hates water. So of corse she can't swim.

The water was cold as it rushed past her. Rika could feel the stones from the bottom of the river scrapping against her back. She forced her eyes close and held her hand over her mouth. Trying to keep her breath. Panic flooded through her whole body. Was she going to die here? Was this what Kurama was talking about?

Rika felt her back slam against the bottom of the river. Knocking the breath right out of her lungs, quickly being replaced with water. By now, terror ran her veins cold. She forced her eyes open, hoping to see something other than darkness if she was to die. The thought was very much drilled into her head by now.

She was going to die.

Her red gaze was fixed upward, giving her a view of the sun sparkling down on the water. Out of the corner of her vision, she could see her hair whipping around in the water almost like a fire. The surface seemed to far off, yet so close. She knew the surface was closer than it looked, she just wished she could reach it.

Her body felt cold, icy cold. Almost as if her body was numb. Everything just seemed to, start to ice over. Things started to darken, with only the sparkling water filling her vision. Then, everything started to shift, almost whisk from her vision. With the surface growing ever so closer. Only a moment after, Rika felt a cold wind rush into her face. With her coughing up water a second later.

Rika felt someone grab the back of her jacket, yanking her up onto the shore. Rika fell face first into the cold, now wet, grass. With her hand shooting up to her mouth as she coughed of water, gulps after gulps.

Everything was fizzy, like she was liking through someone's glasses. Her eyes looked dazed too. Once all the water in her lungs had been coughed up, Rika's breathing was rough. With long deep breaths, as if her body was savoring every breath of air.

"I was surprised at how light you were." Rika felt her body stiffen. It was obvious that Rika had been saved by someone, she even thought she was going to die. It was by who though.

Rika slowly sat back up, sitting on her back legs. Her red eyes gazed over at her savor. Well, if you want to call him that.

"What?" The blue haired boy asked. Tilting his head to one side as he met Rika's red orbs with his yellow ones. Rika simply blinked at him. This didn't really add up. It was obvious that she had been hunting him, and he had watched her kill that other guy. So why would he go and save her?

"Hello?" Rika felt him poke her forehead, making her squish her face together in annoyance. Rika shook her head, sending water droplets all around her. Her head felt heavy with all the water, and she wanted to annoy the blue hair. He jerked back.

"Why did you help me?" Rika blurted out, coughing a bit afterwards. It took him a moment to answer. "Well you were still alive," he said with a shrug. Rika sighed, "Out of pity?" He shrugged. Which most likely meant yes.

"Well,anyway," Rika said, jumping up and shaking herself. "Thank you." She scratched her head, hoping to ruffle her hair up so maybe it would dry better. That's just what she needed, to be soaking wet. She could feel his animal like eyes on her the whole time.

"Your after my tag, aren't you?" He asked. Rika sighed to herself, "Obviously," she half growled. There was a pause before he started to move around, jumping to his feet. Rika watched as he dug into his pockets and pulled out his tag. What he did next surprised Rika.

"Here," he said, holding it out for Rika. Rika flinched, expecting something something to pop out, but nothing happened.

"Well are you going to take it or not?" He asked, waving it around a bit. Rika sighed, she had lost count how many times she actually had. "Damn," she mumbled. In a quick movement, Rika had snatched the tag from his hand and had her free hand right as his neck. Her fingernails glazing his skin. However, a sharp spinning like noise filled her ears. It was faint, but Rika could tell whatever it was. is moving a a fast pace. Her eyes shot down to the glove on the boys hand. Which had what looked like a reel spinning at a fast pace. With his hand clutched together with shinning wires sticking out.

Rika chuckled, "Nice try," she said, "but I would of already killed you." She took a step back, twirling the tag in her hand. "Now I have it far and square. Thank you," she stopped. Having to trace back her steps to see if she had even caught his name, of corse she hadn't.

"Mikaela," he said. Rika snapped back to earth. She nodded, "Thank you, Mikaela."

~

What Mikaela had done did kind of annoy Rika. But it's not like she can do anything about it now.

With the firth phase of the hunger exam over with she had already made it through. And she couldn't find Mikaela anywhere. Maybe he had been killed? But he didn't seem like someone who could be killed that easily. Both Gon and Killua had made it through at lest. Rika found them, interesting. They would be something Rika would want to protect, she had no idea why. Something about how bright they all are.

Rika pushed those heavy thoughts away as she made her way through the halls. She did wonder what the chairman would ask her. This surly wasn't the final phase. It was just too, plain.

With her mind buzzing with questions, Rika wasn't looking where exactly she was going. She found herself bumping into a larger figure. "Sorry," Rika mumbled, wishing she could take it back as soon as she saw who it was.

"You," Rika's tone was more annoyed than anything else. Yellow eyes stared down at her with a amused look reflecting in them. Mikaela chuckled. "I was hoping that I could stay away from you," his tone had a amused tone to it. Rika found herself huffing in announce.

"I'll get you back for just, giving me your tag." Rika had no idea why that pissed her off so much. It might be that he saved her from drowning out of pity. Or the fact that he just willing gave her his tag. Or it might just be the strange aura that surrounded him. Rika just find it, irritating.

"I look forward to it," Mikaela's tone was almost challenging her right then and there. The blue haired boy walked past her without another word. Rika didn't notice how much taller her actually was till right then and there. Well, the more Rika thought about it. She was probably shorter than both Gon and Killua.

Rika gazed over her shoulder as Mikaela walked off. He threw his arm up as he walked. Rika could only find herself staring at the reel that laid on his glove. He was. Strange.

Rika made her way into the chairmen's room, seeing the old man sitting on what looked like a pillow. Rika wondered how he could see with such huge eyebrows. he motioned for Rika to sit down. Rika did as told, but she couldn't stand sitting on her knees. So she crossed her legs and placed her hands in between them.

"So," Netro said. "Why do you want to become a hunter?" His question seemed to run through Rika's blood for a moment. "I-" Rika closed her mouth, choosing out the right words to say. "You could say I'm trying to, forget the past?" She seemed to be questioning herself. "That and I want to prove myself," Rika mumbled the last part, but she was sure the old man herd her.

"Who most interests you in the exam." Rika didn't really have to think about that much. "327," she said. With a picture of Mikaela's animal like eyes staring down at her appear in her mind.

Netro simply nodded. "Whom would you lest want to fight right now?" Rika wasn't to sure about that question. She couldn't really think about anyone. She opened her mouth to respond, but a frighting image appeared in her head. Making the red haired girl shudder.

"Number 44." Netro nodded, "alright then. That is all." Rika wuily got up and made her way out of the room. She felt really stuffy all of the sudden. It was probably because how much her mind was buzzing at the moment.

Her mind was buzzing with questions. Questions that Rika could not answer, which just made things worse. Rika did seem to almost always be in thought. Trying to answer some question that was buzzing around in her head. She wouldn't be surprised if that tended to show on her face. Being a young girl in the hunter exam didn't help ether. No wonder people looked down at her small frame with eyes full of pity.