Jacqui and Guster

"You're either an idiot, or you're insane, but either way, hell no

"You're either an idiot, or you're insane, but either way, hell no."

Ella's heart sank as she watched her best friend shake her head with disapproval. It was late afternoon, and Jacqui had listened to Ella's story about winning the radio contest from start to finish, devouring an entire cinnamon roll in the process. Ella had used the last of the money in her wallet to pay for Jacqui's snack, and she'd watched Jacqui tear apart the pastry with agonizing precision, her fork serving as an anchor while she unraveled its gooey center. Ella knew that Jacqui had been thrilled when a Cinnabon finally graced their local mall's food court, and years of friendship had taught her that the way to Jacqui's good side was through the blonde girl's stomach.

At least, that was usually true. Maybe cinnamon-coated dough wasn't enough when it came to asking Jacqui for help committing identity fraud. But if Ella had known that earlier, she would've asked for a bite.

"Please, Jaq?" Ella pleaded, bringing her hands in front of her as if she were praying. She widened her eyes and pouted in an attempt to look more pitiful. "Do you want me to beg? Because I will. I'll get on my knees and everything—"

"No, Ella. Geez." Jacqui's head was still going back and forth, her pale brows creasing. "You've completely lost it."

"I'm not asking you to lie to anyone, or even do anything illegal—"

"You mean other than helping you pretend to be eighteen so that you can run away to New York and get murdered?"

"I'm not going to get murdered."

"Raped? Kidnapped? Maimed by a taxi?"

"You are so morbid," Ella said, sitting back in her chair. Even in the air-conditioned mall, she felt the back of her thighs sweating against the seat. She pulled her knees up to her chin. "Seriously, nothing bad is going to happen to me if I go, but a lot of good things could come out of this."

"Right, right." Jacqui dismissed her words by waving her hand. "You'll go and convince some snooty fashion institute to give you a scholarship, and in a year you'll be out of Pepper Falls. I get it."

"Less."

"Huh?"

"I'd be out of here the day after graduation," Ella explained. "I'd have my diploma in one hand and a one-way ticket on a plane, train, or Greyhound in the other."

"How do you plan on carrying your bags?" Jacqui asked with her familiar dry wit, and Ella couldn't help but smile.

Jacqui's family ran the local feed supply store, which meant that they'd been among the first people that Ella met when she moved into town. Ella's first impression of Jacqui had been that the other girl was loud, impatient, and boy crazy since birth. Within seconds of being introduced to Ella, Jacqui had dragged her into the back room of her parents' store so that they could look at a magazine article about a famous boy band. Jacqui had asked Ella which member of the band she thought was cutest, and Ella remembered shrugging and picking one of the men at random, hoping that her answer would please her new acquaintance.