Chapter Nineteen: The Marauders

When Scorpius and Lily return to school, a few things change. For one thing, Lily is wearing a new charm- the opal heart- on her first charm bracelet. For another, they are both smiling more often than they have since Draco's death. The friendship which was just beginning to grow between Lily and Rose has died suddenly, and that reveals Rose's carefully-kept secret to anyone who has half a brain. This is highly unpleasant for the beauty of the Weasley clan. She's always been sought after, admired, and envied- but she's never been pitied.

And now nearly the entire student population at Hogwarts pities her with a vengeance. They have ample reason- after all, Scorpius Malfoy, the prospective Head Boy for next year and the handsomest boy at Hogwarts, has always been considered Rose's lawful property. No girl has ever tried to take him from her. No one has ever stood a chance against Rose's sapphire eyes and rose-gold hair. Even when the two broke up during the summer, everyone assumed they would be back together eventually. And now the tomboyish little prankster of a Lily Luna, who many of the boys are beginning to view as Rose's successor as the beauty of Hogwarts, is suddenly the Malfoy heir's girlfriend. Both of them are so dizzyingly happy that no one thinks their relationship will be of short duration. And since everyone can see that Rose is still head over heels for Scorpius, everyone pities her.

Though James seems to have come to terms with this new side of his sister, Al is noticeably disgruntled. He isn't speaking to Scorpius, and though he hasn't ceased speaking to Lily, he glares every time she looks at her boyfriend.

The Marauders are all thrilled with this sudden development. Roxy claims she has "shipped" the pair (whatever "shipping" is) ever since Scorpius gave Lily her first charms. Louis, who is completely in awe of the prefect and possible Head Boy for next year, is delighted.

"And maybe he'll be able to force you to make an actual effort in classes!" he comments hopefully when they're all back together in their headquarters in the Room of Requirement. "You know, you could be top of the class if you tried."

Lily and Roxy both laugh until they cry.

Hugo, surprisingly, approves. Perhaps this is because his mother strongly approves. Or maybe it's because he's never really liked the idea of Scorpius with Rose. But either way, he is overjoyed.

"Now all the boys in our year will stop chasing you, Prongs," he says enthusiastically. "It's completely mental. I'm sick of telling Lorcan Scamander that no, you're not interested in him."

"Lorcan?" Lily snorts. "Didn't think he had enough time to spare from his mirror to waste on me."

"Lysander fancies you, too, you know," Roxy tells Lily almost wistfully.

It's such a change from her usual bright tone that Lily looks at her more sharply than usual. "I don't mind Sander," she says slowly. "He's polite and nice, but he's wasting his time on me. And maybe," she adds in a whisper, "someone else would give him more encouragement?"

Roxy slaps her.

As they run hurriedly back through the corridors to the Gryffindor dorms after their meeting's conclusion, Scorpius catches sight of them. Unfortunately, there's nowhere to hide. 

"Oi, Marauders!" he calls. "You're out after-hours."

"Come on, Scorp, be a sport," Roxy pleads. "You know it's not gentlemanly to put your girlfriend and her cousins in detention."

Lily slings an arm around her boyfriend. "It's alright. I don't mind as long as you supervise mine."

He smirks and kisses her. "Agreed."

"Gross," Hugo chokes. "Keep the PDA to a minimum, you gits."

---

As the school year comes closer to the end and the end-of-year exams loom closer, the Marauders finally manage to complete the paperwork, registering, and practicing that they need to become Animagi. They meet in the Room of Requirement the week before exams to enact their first transformations.

"Are you sure this is going to work, Prongs?" Louis asks nervously. "We're underage- and I don't care what Kingsley said, he'll tell our parents as soon as we're officially Animagi."

"No, he won't," Lily says briskly. "I made him promise that he wouldn't. If he breaks the promise, we get our money back."

Roxy shakes her head. "I don't know, Prongs."

Lily rolls her eyes and stands, pulling a manual from one of the bookshelves entitled Animagi Almanac. "It's time to complete the transformations, Marauders. Everyone ready?"

Hugo, Roxy, and Louis nod, and Lily steps forwards to join them around the table in the centre of the room.

Lily closes her eyes, and the others follow suit. "Concentrate," she whispers, her voice intense.

There is a moment's pause, and then the features of the four cousins begin to change. Lily drops to all fours and begins to grow fur of a light tan color. Her large eyes get larger, and in no time a doe is standing where she used to be. 

Roxy sprouts black fur. Her hands grow larger and her fingers curl in to become paws. A tail sprouts from her backside, and a large black dog is standing where she was. 

Hugo shrinks, and his already long and lanky form becomes still longer. His nose becomes pointier, and he becomes a weasel. 

Louis transforms much as Roxy did, but his fur is grey, and his eyes are wilder. In his place now crouches an enormous grey wolf. 

They all close their eyes once more and morph back. Lily whistles. 

"This is wicked."

Roxy grins. "Now I can pretend to be your pet and we can sneak into the Leaky Cauldron without Mrs. Longbottom tossing me out!"

Louis grins. "And I can scare Belby the next time he tries to follow us out on our excursion."

Hugo shakes his head. "Dad'll be furious. A weasel-"

"You should hide yourself in a present to him at Christmas," Lily chuckles. 

Two hours later, Snoutworth is seen chasing a weasel, a doe, a dog, and a wolf down the corridors of Hogwarts, yelling about "them ruddy front doors."  

You see? I'm not the worst author of all time. I am capable of updating!!!!!

So, what do you lot think of it? I hope you liked it, because I wrote half of it when I should have been doing my summer reading work. My bad grade will be on you :)

Love you all, 

Lily

P.S. Who do you lot think James should end up with?