Epilogue I: The Wedding

The engagement of Lily Luna Potter, star Chaser of England's Quidditch team and one of the most noted women's rights advocates of the wizarding world, to Scorpius Malfoy, the most eligible wizarding bachelor in all Britain and a famous journalist, is of course gushed over by hundreds of thousands of wizards all over the world. Little witches sigh over Lily's wedding gown, an odd combination of quidditch robes and a ballgown that is somehow breathtakingly beautiful on her (many who have before called the Chosen One's daughter plain gawk at the pictures released in Witch Weekly). Young wizards exclaim happily over the indoor Quidditch Pitch Scorpius adds on to the house they plan to live in together after their marriage. And the adults narrowly analyze the wedding location, the number of guests, and the cost of the decor. Lily and Scorpius sometimes feel as though they are directly beneath a glaring spotlight. 

But only a very small number of people are there with them on the most important day of their lives so far. 

Lily revolves slowly in front of the full-length mirror that Ginny has dragged into her room, nervously pulling at the lace on the neckline and wondering whether Hugo, Roxy, and Louis have some diabolical scheme ready to ruin it (the Marauders are still as close as ever). 

"Lily, stop it," Rose Lupin says, smiling and swatting at her younger cousin's hand, then reaching out with a pin to try and keep Lily's hair up (it still seems to resist any attempts to tame it). 

"Rosie," Lily mutters, waving her hand away, "my head already feels like needles are pricking into every inch of it. Enough with the pins!"

Rose drops the pin, then bends down to try and retrieve it and can't manage it due to the large bump in her waistline that James has already dubbed 'Teddy Jr.' This provokes a laugh from Lily, who stoops to pick up the pin for her cousin, her skirts rustling.

The door clicks open, and Roxy (soon to be Roxanne Scamander) hurries in, still as impetuous and full of fun at 21 as she was at ten. "Lily, I really believe Grandma's baked enough to crack those ancient tables of hers. Wait till you see the wedding cake. I could hardly restrain myself. I do hope you and Scorpius hurry up with the vows." She pauses to look at her cousin and best friend. "Prongs, you look smashing. Really, you do."

Lily smiles. "Thanks, Padfoot."

Ginny Potter comes in next, smiling as though she's been handed the world, though in reality she's only been handed little Isla Marie, James and Alice Potter's young daughter, who kicks her feet and gurgles appreciatively at the sight of her "pitty auntie" all dressed up. 

Then Aunt Hermione enters, followed by Victoire Krum, who has come all the way from Bulgaria with her husband to be at Lily's wedding. After Vic comes Dominique Wood with her little boy, Corson, then Darcy Potter (nee Finnigan), Albus's wife, with a tiny black-haired infant named Alastor Remus Potter. Then Molly, unmarried and proud of it, Polly Weasley (Louis's wife), Katie Weasley (Fred's wife), and Lucy Thomas enter. The ladies all express approval of Lily, her dress, her hair, her shoes, and her veil (her mother's), until Lily, who can hardly move, the room is so crowded with female relatives, expresses a sudden desire for water and sends them all hurrying away for it. 

---

Scorpius, meanwhile, is not at all crowded, being out in the open air next to the marquee the wedding is to take place in, but he still feels cornered, because Al, James, Fred, Hugo, Teddy, and Louis are standing in front of him. 

They look like they mean business. 

"Look, mate," Al says, "we don't mean to scare you off."

"Debatable," James mutters, then hurriedly says "sorry," when Louis turns to glare at him. 

"We just want to make sure you know that if you ever, ever do anything to Lily, we will hex your face off," Hugo says cheerfully. 

"And other more questionable parts of you that we won't mention," Fred adds.

"Got it," Scorpius murmers, now definitely nervous. "So is that all, then?"

"No," Teddy says firmly. "Look, Scorpius, as a married man, and the oldest here, I can tell you that being married isn't always a fairytale."

"I should think not," Hugo laughs. "Not when you're married to my sister."

Teddy glares at him, his hair turning a brilliant shade of red. "Shut up."

Hugo shuts up. 

"Anyways," Teddy says, turning back to Scorpius, his hair reverting to its original blue, "Try not to get angry with Lily. She'll most likely return the favor. That's pretty much all the marriage advice I have."

"What about the wedding night?" Fred asks slyly. "Yours produced that lovely bump in Rosie's figure, correct?"

"SHUT. UP."

---

Finally, all of the guests have arrived, most of the Weasley clan have located their respective children, and Scorpius finds himself standing on a dais inside the marquee, watching an almost unrealistically beautiful figure walk towards him. 

He can't believe they've come this far, done so much. But he knows that this is the woman he is meant to spend the rest of his life with. And looking into Lily's clear hazel eyes, he feels that he's found home.

The vows, as Roxy hopes, are short. In a matter of minutes Scorpius finds himself united forever to the most amazing, lovely, wonderful girl in eternity. He takes her in his arms and kisses her, then feels something pressing into his back and pulls away, pulling Lily's hands back towards him for inspection. 

Then he smiles. Because even though his bride is dressed in the most elegant, fashionable outfit she could find without wanting to vomit, there's one element of her outfit that could make her ensemble imperfect in the well-bred noses of the Wizarding Elite (he considers it the best part). 

Four delicate, slightly tarnished silver chains encircle Lily Luna Malfoy's wrists, each one full to bursting with charms.