Sorrow and Confusion

■■

Chapter 7

■■

I made it just in time. The horns were singing. If it really is Robin's men, Robin will be here. While the sheriff talked, I stalked around. I was searching for a familiar face. Then I saw him... Allan. He was standing there, glaring up at the sheriff.

"Allan," I whispered.

"Evelyn? What are you here?" He asked in a quiet voice.

"I thought you were the one that was going to be hanged..."

Allan leaned down. "My brother and his friends got caught."

I got closer to him. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's not your fault. He had his chances."

We turned our eyes to the sheriff, who was talking about Robin and how he does not have respect for the law.

"Yes, of course, you do. Which is why I have brought the hanging forward by one hour. Look up there!" The sheriff spat.

Everyone's gaze looked to where he was pointing. Three bodies hung at the top of a stone wall.

Allan's face quickly filled with sadness. He tried to run up to attack the sheriff, but I jumped in front of him and stopped Allan.

"No. I don't want to see you join your brother." I whispered.

The sheriff started to explain the look on the men's faces when they realize that Hood wasn't coming to rescue them. Allan was getting upset. Tears were swelling his eyes.

Allan then ran off

Allan then ran off. Of course, I ran after him. He was sitting in a what I believe was a barn. Allan was crying. He was trying to keep it together, but he couldn't.

I sat down next to him and put my arm around him. "It will be alright."

"It won't, will it? My brother is dead and I wasn't there to save him." Allan mumble.

"The Sheriff killed my father. He, um. He burned down my house. It fell to the ground and my father was too weak to make it out. See, that day I left for the market. And I came back to see the house burning, I tried to save him, but Guy held me back. We can not protect family forever." I softly explained.

Allan rested his head on my shoulder.

"You are a good man, Allan A Dale." I pushed him up and kissed his cheek. "Any fool would be lucky to have you."

I slipped away just before Will and what looked like a man came and found Allan.

■■

At the Manor, Guy was waiting for me. He was sitting down with his leg crossed over the other. Guy watched me, drinking me in with his dark eyes.