Day 186

'Then Peter called to him, "Lord, if it's really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water."

"Yes, come," Jesus said.

So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. "Save me, Lord!" he shouted.

Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. "You have so little faith," Jesus said. "Why did you doubt me?"'

Matthew 14:28-31

The miracle of Jesus walking on water is a wonder in itself - I mean, who here just casually takes a stroll across the Mediterranean? But today what I wanted to talk about was how this passage applies to us. Because I think that we often are a bit like Peter. We seen Jesus walking on water and doing wonderful things and we want to follow in his footsteps. But when we step out on to that water we doubt ourselves and start to sink.

I'll explain what I mean. Sometimes we feel called by God to do something, something that is nerve-wracking and scary. Maybe God has shown you how broken one of your friend's lives is, and he wants you to show them his love and glory. And so you step out onto the water and you begin to walk. You start to tell them God's word. But then you notice how big the waves are, and how strong the wind is. You can see how dangerous and freaky the route that you are taking is. And you start to doubt that God can do this, and more importantly, you doubt yourself. You doubt that you can walk on the water, and so you start to sink.

That faith in God, that knowledge that he can and he will keep you above the waves is so important to keep afloat. Trust yourself. You are a child of an almighty King, and through him you can do anything.  If you set out to do something without the full-hearted and strong belief that you can do it through Jesus, you'll never complete it. People will be healed if you trust God. People will be saved. So today I encourage you to take that first step on the water, and to completely and wholeheartedly trust God.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you are more powerful than sin, and you will love me for eternity. Thank you that you can do anything. Please help me to take that first step on the water. Help me to trust you and know that you are greater than all else.

Amen