...36... Brent's POV

...36...

Brent's POV

After Claire left the house, I stormed upstairs to talk to Mike. I needed to have a long overdue talk with him about how he was treating Claire. I didn't like it and I knew Clay wanted either. If he wasn't going to listen to Claire than he would listen to me. I was the closest thing he had to his brother and I've watched him and Hannah grow up. Claire put her life on hold to take care of these kids which she didn't have to but because she loved Caroline and Clay so much, she took on this challenge.

"You know something, Michael. You need to start showing Claire a little bit more respect."

"I don't show b*tches respect."

"You listen to me young man. You may think that there is something going on between me and Claire but you are wrong. I am her friend and that's it. I promised your brother that if I came home before him, that I would help with whatever was needed. Claire does all she can to provide for you and Hannah and the only thing you do is cuss her and not listen."

"Well, if she would stay faithful to Clay instead of rubbing up on you, I might respect her more."

"You're thirteen years old Mikey, you don't get to wear the pants in this house. You are not the boss. That job title belongs to Claire and I am just her assistant."

"Whatever Brent," Mikey said and just as I was about to say something back to him when my phone started to ring. I didn't recognize the number so I stepped out into the hallway to take the call.

"Hello."

"Brent Buchanan?" the voice on the other end said.

"Yes."

"Sir, this is Staff Sergeant Phillips and General Mason is requesting your presence immediately."

"Can you possibly tell me what this is about?" I asked.

"No sir, I was just informed to call you."

"Thank you Staff Sergeant."

"Yes sir."

After I hung the phone up, I stepped back into Mike's room, told him to get some things ready because I was taking him over to Claire's moms house. Diane loved the kids like they were really part of her family and when Mikey didn't want to listen to Claire, he would listen to Diane. I went downstairs and told Hannah the plan and she silently got up from her spot and went to her room. I sent Claire a text message telling her I had something come up and was taking the kids to her moms. I also knew that her mom would tell her that she insisted on having the kids for a couple of days. Claire needed a little bit of a break so it wouls be good for her.

After dropping the kids off at Diane's, I went down to recruiting station because I knew that's where General Mason would be this week. I signed in and was showed back to a small office. The general was not in the room yet but I stayed at ease until he walked in. Once his presence was known, I stood at attention.

"At ease, First Sergeant,"General Mason said. As soon as he was sat comfortable in his chair, I moved to take my seat. "I'm sure you're aware of what I've called you here for, Buchanan."

"Not a clue, sir, but I'm hoping it has something to do with Clay, sir."

"You would be right. As you know, when you all were taken as POW's, we went in to get both of you. We had no clue that you all had been separated. That blindsided us."

"Yes sir."

"We were able to recover Sergeant Major Redden and he is being treated at the Walter Reed Medical Center as of now but he will be transported Mount Sinai Rehabilitation Hospital within the month," he said and I felt a sense of ease wash over me. It was more than that though, I wanted to jump up and down with excitement.