Chapter 2

Present Day

Sue me okay? Call child protective services if you see it fit. Okay so it's not a federal crime to keep a child away from its father(that I know of) but to me it was hell. It has been two years since I've seen him. Ever since I walked out on Ahkmenrah, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me.

No longer did I have to stress about my child getting enough sleep because he was sleeping now in his room every night. No longer did I need to call in "sick" to my job as often because I was too tired from seeing Ahkmenrah or I just needed the day to collect my thoughts.

My stress level has gone down considerably since I left him. At first I was even more stressed because I became obsessed with the thought that he was going to come track me down at night and do something regrettable. I would if someone walked out on my life with my child. Now I'm almost as tranquil as Gandhi. Almost.

There were several times that I would breakdown crying in the privacy of my room at night, when Bonami was in bed. I would sit on the edge of my bed sobbing into my hands, pillow, or whatever was handy.

The thought of raising Bo all by myself for real this time was scary. At least two years ago I knew I had Ahkemrah there to support me, but now I don't. There's a big difference between getting support from your mother, and getting support from your partner. Your mother understand you like no other. But your partner understands you more on a subconscious level. With just one look they know what you think before anyone else does.

I don't have him anymore and I slowly started to become okay with that. I hate myself for starting to be okay with not having Ahk by my side, we've gone through so much that I can't imagine going through life without him.

I sighed heavily as I pushed thoughts of him away. I've often found it hard recently to keep my mind focused. I would be doing a task and then I would get random thoughts about Ahk. Memories from both of our lives would flash by and 'what if' questions like 'What if I stayed with him?' or 'What if he didn't give up his mortality when Bo was born? What would he be doing now?'

I looked down at the pile of clean towels in front of me, half of them wadded together in a pile and the other half neatly folded and stacked. I reluctantly picked up a wadded up towel and started to fold when my phone beeped. Yes! I thought to myself A break! Even though I already took a break not even five minutes ago, I really didn't want to fold towels.

It was a text from dad.

Old Man: Hey, will be there in a couple of hours to pick you two up. Need to make a pit stop first.

Me: Sounds good! Where are you going?

Old Man: Museum

Me: oh..

Old Man typing...

Me: haven't been there in awhile. Can I come?

I don't know what possessed me to send him that text. Sure I miss going there a lot, but I couldn't see Ahkmenrah. I mean what would happen if I saw him? Would he hate me? Obviously. My subconscious told me.

Old Man: Of course. I'll be there in ten minutes.

Well no backing out now.

I quickly texted my neighbor to see if they could watch Bonami for a few hours, luckily they said yes. I set out everything he would need with directions and such as a knock came from the door.

I let the babysitter in, showed them where everything was and left, making my way down to the lobby of my apartment complex.