Chapter Eight

"Would you slow down? She's not wearing a seat belt."

"Oh, quiet. She's fine."

"Andrew, I'm serious. The last thing we need is her getting hurt."

"What do you care, you drugged her."

"I didn't have a choice! She wouldn't have come with us otherwise."

"And how do you know that?"

"I just do, now slow down!"

"What was that? You want me to speed up? Alright, I guess!"

"Andrew, knock it off!"

My eyelids fluttered open and I felt a harsh pounding at my temples. My body vibrated as the car sped down what felt like a very uneven dirt road. Slowly, I slid myself up along the seat until my back was resting against the door.

"Where are you taking me?" I mumbled, wiping my hair out of my face. I glanced up enough to see Alex sitting frozen in his seat, staring ahead.

Alex...

Memories of the past couple days since I officially met him rushed into my head. I felt my heart sink a little, but I pushed the feeling to the side. I wasn't going to let myself get killed tonight.

"I said where are you taking me."

"We heard you, princess. We're just trying our best to ignore you," Andrew responded, and Alex swiftly punched him in the arm.

"Leave her alone," he grumbled to Andrew. I saw him raise his hands in defense before returning them to the steering wheel.

"Alex, what's going on?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper. He continued staring ahead, not bothering to answer me. I felt a lump in my throat and my eyes began to sting.

"Are you going to kill me?" I asked, and glanced out the window. Trees whizzed past at a speed I didn't even want to know. Andrew let out a sigh and I heard what sounded like him tapping his fingers against the steering wheel.

"Listen, it'd be great if you could relax and keep quiet so we can live out the remainder of this car ride in peace," Andrew said, and as impossible as it seemed, I sat back into the seat and stared out of the window. The car was going at least 80 miles an hour, there would be no point in trying to escape.

The trees seemed to get thicker as we drove on, and if I had to guess, we were driving deep into a remote forest. Which forest, it would be impossible to tell. Washington was packed with forests and woodlands. By the time anyone even knew which one I was in, I'd be long gone by then.

"Look, I promise I'll be quiet if you just tell me what's going on, please," I begged, switching my gaze back and forth between Alex and the back of Andrews' seat.

"No need. We're already here," Andrew responded. I quickly looked out the window in time to see a large Victorian style mansion. As the car pulled up, I noticed a fountain gushing neon lit water, sitting on the blacktop roundabout. Thick shrubs lines the exterior walls of the mansion, stopping at a five-step staircase that led to wooden double doors. It was beautiful.

"Alex, you take care of her. I'm not in the mood for this nonsense," Andrew said, breaking me out of my trance. I heard the sound of two car doors opening, followed by a bright light flooding the car. I shut my eyes and brought my arm up to cover my face. Before my vision could adjust, I felt a pair of strong arms pulling me out of the car.

"No," I mumbled, sleepily. Whatever Alex had given me was something powerful. I felt okay in the car, but as soon as I was on my feet I got a tremendous head rush. Alex's grip on my arm was gentle as he shut the car door. Out of nowhere, I felt a rush of adrenaline. I squirmed and wiggled, trying to escape Alex's grip. To my surprise, my arm broke free and I didn't waste a second before running off in the opposite direction.