Prologue

\\PROLOGUE//

"I've never met a girl like you Zo," Kylie laughed, her eyes drifting towards the night sky.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah whatever," I stared at the city from the roof we were sitting on.

"You're a legend," Kylie smirked.

"Yeah." I looked at my bloodied hands, trying to ignore the icky feeling flowing over me.

"Z, you okay?" Kylie asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Just reminiscing."

"About what?" She asked as she sipped her beer.

"My parents' death. After all these years, Ky, I still haven't found their killer. Six years Kylie. Six."

"No eight. They died eight years ago."

"It feels shorter. I'm failing them and I don't know how to fix it," I sighed.

"Watch out though. You heard about the boot camp taking in people our age to 'fix' us. Brad got taken recently. We don't want that to happen to us.."

"I know," I growled.

"They're going after you. They know who you are. Rae is trying to lead them off, but she got taken," Kylie said.

I stood up and tugged at my hair. "I'm screwed." Rae was the little hacker in our group and she was good at what she does, but sometimes people are better. She got taken for protecting me.

Suddenly the doors tore open from the roof. I looked up and frowned. "Shit." Five men started running towards Ky and I. No doubt they were from the camp.

"Zo! Run damnit." Kylie shouted. She turned to the guys and tried fending them off.

I jumped from the roof and rolled onto the other one. I started running and saw three men gaining on me. They were incredibly fast, but fortunately, I was faster. I jumped again and landed on an awning. I pulled myself up on a fire escape and I jumped down from the ladder. One man jumped right on top of me. I screamed and threw him off. I pulled daggers out of my boots. "Come and get me bitches."

One man ran at me with rowan sticks. I sliced them off and kicked the man back with my combat boots. I ducked and whipped out my gold chain. It wrapped around my wrist like a bracelet, but once I gripped it, it was a deadly whip that cut skin like paper. It could cut through anything. I slashed it down one mans face and he screamed as he went down. I ducked again and kicked the other man back. He grabbed my waist, but I bit him hard.

All three of them jumped on top of me at the same time. I screamed in rage and pushed only two off. A blonde one cuffed my wrists and held me down with all his weight. I went limp in is arms for two seconds. Then I jumped to get him off, but he knew what I was going to do.

"McGowan, hold her down while I get the van."

"But the bitch bit me!"

"Do. What. I. Just. Said," He growled.

"Scared of lil ol' me sweetie?" I whispered. "I don't bite... that much."

Mcgowan chuckled drily. "Got some bite in you." He sat on top of my back.

I coughed. "You're mad heavy bub," I wheezed.

"Too bad Draven."

I froze at my last name. How did they know my last name? I was called Zoey Rogue. Rogue was actually my middle name, and Draven was my last name, the family name, but to stay safe, I used Rogue as my last name.

"Where are you taking me?"

"A place for teens like you." McGowan hauled me up and pulled me inside a van. He used another handcuff to lock me to the van's wall.

"Fuck you," I spat.

"You too. Do you know how long we've been searching for you? You're a legend. We're bringing you to a facility named Shadow Falls. Like a boot camp. Reform school for punks like you."

"Fuck," I mumbled. I've heard of that camp. Once you get in, you never come out.