Prologue

The moon danced, and the stars did too as they filled the sky. Lush green trees and plentiful game swarmed around a group of huddled cats. They constantly were quarreling while discussing the urgent matter. Stars speckled their pelts, almost as if they reflected the sky.

"We have to go through with this," a flame-colored tom spoke,"they are the only cats capable of wielding these powers and hardships."

"But we don't have time to train these apprentices, the threat is getting closer and closer to the Clans!" a old, grumpy, gray she-cat argued.

"There's no other choice Yellowfang! It's our only hope," a gray tabby tom snapped back.

"Well then Jayfeather, where do you suppose they go to then, hmmmm?" Yellowfang growled in a questioning voice.

"Arguing isn't going to get us anywhere and we need to make a decision soon!" the flame colored tom mewed again.

Silence settled on the small group. They all thought hard about what to do for this crisis.

"The Tribe! They could accept the Clans, couldn't they?" a gray, former leader spoke.

Then suddenly a voice came from behind them,"No, Ashstar, they cannot. Not right now."

"Half Moon!" Jayfeather gasped. He ran up to the she-cat and rubbed his muzzle against hers. "It's been so long," he whispered.

"I know," she replied. Half moon looked at Jayfeather with love and admiration in her eyes. Then, she turned back to the group,"but I do know where they can go."

"Where?!"Jayfeather meowed.

"Well," Half moon began,"before the Early Settlers began to live by the lake, they lived in another place. A forest. It lays just down from the sun-drowned place. Nobody has ventured that far since we have left. Don't forget StarClan would have to make the long journey as well, to this place."

"That's a risk we're willing to take. Besides, after the storm, there will not be any more cats to guide here. " The orange tom spoke.

"So if the Clans are to survive, we will give these apprentices the powers!" Ashstar mewed determinedly.

"Then that is that," Half moon finilized. "I must go now."

The other cats nodded in agreement, all except Jayfeather, who protested,"No! Don't! Can't you stay just a little longer?" He curled his tail around her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, but until we meet again," Half moon looked to the sky, then back down to Jayfeather," goodbye Jay's Wing."