Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Memories and Maps

Harsh winds rippled throughout my fur, moving it in waves. It skimmed through my whiskers, cold, but strengthening. With eyes closed and ears straight, I concentrated on the being behind me. I heard its breathing and soft, cautious paw steps. It brushed against the small gorse bush it was residing next to.

Suddenly, I spun around, revealing myself to the creature. It had short brown fur with very long ears. Its scrunched face was complemented by its small pink nose and beaty, black eyes. A snow white puff of a tail was attached behind it.

I lunged. Every muscle in my body lurched as I soared to my prey. I unsheathed my claws, and just before I could get to it, the rabbit darted from the bush and ran. Hard on its heels, I gave it a chase. My eyes fixated themselves on the small body in front of me. My paws beaded against the ground, matching my now fast heartbeat.

With the sound of blood running through my ears, I raced on. Adrenaline coursed throughout my veins, pushing me forward with every paw step. I gained on the rabbit. Suddenly it took a turn to the left and darted for a rabbit hole. I took my chance and sprang. With my paws outstretched, I landed on its back. A satisfying crack came from the creature's spine, signaling it had split.

The rabbit now laid limp on the ground as I skidded to a halt. My flanks rapidly rose and fell. Panting, I began to study my surroundings. Surprisingly, I had chased the rabbit quite far without even realizing it. I had made it to the edge of our territory, near the horseplace.

I turned my head to the sky, awed by its beauty. The millions of shades of blue gave it depth, making it mesmerizing. I've always been interested in the sky. It was mysterious and utterly amazing in the way it turned different colors. Or the way it would show the Silverpelt at night. Even the clouds had this beauty. Some were light, fluffy, happy. While other were dark and angry. The sky always seemed to have a spirit of its own. And I loved it.

"Hey, Owl," I heard a voice call from behind me, pulling me from my head. I spun around to see the voice, relieved when I saw a familiar face. It was Basil. A brown and white tabby she-cat who lived in the horseplace with her mother Tatyl, and brother, Pumpkin.

"It's Owlpaw," I corrected her, slightly amused. She always got my name wrong.

She smiled, "You wild cats and your odd names." She padded closer toward me, looking over my catch," I saw you chase that hare. You're very fast."

"Thanks. You know, they didn't call my mother Runningbreeze for nothing," I replied, remembering by my mother's distinct golden pelt. Moments later, a wave of sadness washed over me. My mother had been killed during Bloodcough. My gaze lowered from Basil to the ground.

I felt her tail curl around my shoulders. "She was a good cat," her silk voice drowned my ears.

"How could you know that? You barely even knew her," I sighed," I barely even knew her."

"In the time that I was with you, I could tell she had a good soul," Basil soothed.

Bloodcough lasted two moons straight. It was harsh for all clans, but WindClan the most. Out on the moor, when the snow comes, prey becomes scarce. Herbs even scarcer. Bloodcough occurred during one of the worst leaf-bares ever seen. The herb store was little nothing, rendering us defenseless against the disease.

Basil's mother, Taytl, had even caught a bit of it herself. When her twolegs gave her medicine, instead of eating it, she came to our camp. Knowing that we were suffering, she offered it to us. Gorsestar at first refused, we didn't need a kittypet to help us, but then he quickly realized that if his clan were to survive, this would be the only way.