Chapter Two (Percy's Point Of View)

Keep going, I heard Gaea say in my mind. There's food up ahead.

Okay, I thought back. I reached a field with berry bushes all over. Thanks!

It's the least I could do to make it up to you.

I said it's okay! I thought to her. It isn't your fault she's scared of me. She's immortal now. Someone else who's more worthy can make her happy.

You say it's okay, Gaea replied, you say it's not my fault. But it is. If I hadn't tried to rise, you guys wouldn't have fell into that pit that used to be my husband. Then she would never have left you. And for someone who is more worthy ---- you are worthy. Anyone who let's you go is the one who's not.

I smiled under my cloak (that Gaea had made for me.) Thanks. Ever since I had learned that my mother, Sally Jackson, had died, Gaea had practically adopted me. No one could replace Sally, but right now Gaea was the closest I could get to a motherly figure.

She tells me not to blame myself. She guides me. She teaches me stuff. She's the one who always helped me out of my nightmares of that place when I get them. (Tartarus sometimes visits in my sleep and tortures me some more. Gaea is no longer his wife because she turned good.)

* * *

I woke up. No nightmares last night.

That could only mean one thing: something bad was going to happen.

I could feel it in my bones. I automatically tensed and looked around. The birds were oddly quiet. Any animals in the area were too.

The word of the wind was the hunters.

The huntresses are coming. . . . The huntresses are coming!

Let them find you, Gaea said.

I nodded and leaned back, my hands behind me, holding me up.

Suddenly the clearing erupted. I was suddenly facing a huge group of girls.

There were two in the front. One had a bow and a silver circulate on her head.

Thalia.

The other was an auburn haired girl with a bow.