Run

There was fire everywhere. Each piece of their clothing, their backpacks, their gear, the men lit them on fire and danced around them like some type of ritual.

Scotty was at her side. She could feel his heavy breathing and muffled pleas beside her. Whatever they had gagged Scotty with, it stopped his crying fully.

Meanwhile, ahead of them, their parents were tossed onto their knees. "Mia, Scotty honey?" Her mother called. "I need you to look away. Don't watch okay?"

"Mom." Mia hissed. "stop talking like that. We can get out of this." With each thrash, she was trying to get out of her captors hold.

"Mia listen to me." Her dad called making her stop fighting. "You take care of your brother you understand me?"

"No. No we can get out of here. Together!"

"You're a fighter Mia." He smiled. Then, when their eyes met, Mia's world froze because she knew it was over. "don't ever change."

And suddenly, the light left her father's eyed as a bullet passed through his temple. With a large of a scream as she could, Mia pleaded no. Soon after, her mother was clubbed from behind. Both of their parents fell to the ground lifeless. Neither moved, neither breathed, both were gone.

Scotty shrieked from beside her as Mia charged forward. The anger that surged through her veins raged like nothing before. But the men, they tackled her to get her under control.

The leader stepped towards her tauntingly. His boys propping her up for whatever fate was coming her way. Meanwhile, Scotty watched in horror from behind. "give up kid." The man stood before her.

He held onto the bat with authority.

"You got nowhere left to go."

Mia however, just stared right back. "remember my face." She warned. He looked down at her with confusion. "because it'll be the last thing you see before you go to hell."

A grin worked it's way across his lips. But then, with a nod, he stepped away. From behind a man pressed a blade to her throat, and in one pull, the metal was slicing through exposing her inner throat to the world.

Warm liquid rushed out of control bubbling from her lips.

Everything slipped away, everything went a blur. But as she looked to her sobbing brother, their eyes locked and she let out her last words ever. "run!"

It wasnt planned, but fate was on their side. Flashes of muzzles shot from the woods lighting up the dim world around them. Footsteps crowded in, men scattered away. Soon it was all gone, her sight, her fight, the men, the blood... Scotty. Scotty listened to her words. Scotty ran off in all the chaos. Scotty was gone.

Before everything slipped, she felt herself behind lifted upwards.

Her eyes cracked open in the slightest catching sight of a stubble chin. Strong arms pulling her close to his chest. But none of it mattered. She shouldn't have told him to run. It all happened to fast.

Whoever saved them, did they get to Scotty? Did they stop him?

He was all she thought about. He was all he wanted... and with his name on her lips, Mia faded into nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------

"Mia....Mia?!" A voice echoed in the distance. Upon hearing it, she sat up on the branch and had to steady herself by grabbing others. It took a while to locate it, but eventually she pinned it as someone that didnt normally talk to her. Lori.

Lori was ricks wife.

Hopping down seeing her panicked state, she instantly approached the woman. Once in eye shot, she could see the relief. "Mia. Thank god. I didn't know who else to go to. You've been out there before right, alone?" She nodded in confusion. Of course she was alone...all she ever had was Scotty. "I need your help. Hershel took off earlier and didn't come back. Beth is in some shocked state, we need him. So Rick Glenn and t dog went to go find him. They haven't come back and its been hours. Maggie said Hershel went to a bar a few miles down the road. It doesn't take that long!" Immediately she knew what bar it was. "Daryl's still out hunting and Shane won't go. I need you to go find them. Bring them back. Please!"

Mia immediately felt overwhelmed. If they were gone this long, it was dangerous.

"Mia I need Rick. Please... I'm pregnant."

This brought Mia's whole world down. There was no way she could just leave Lori like this. The woman came to her for help, so she was going to.

Biting her lip, she nodded. "oh my god, thank you. So much. I didn't know who to go to." Awkwardly, Lori had her in a hug.

Mia stiffened immediately. But feeling her embrace, it made her shutter. She missed her mom.

By the tree, Mia tightened all of her weapons and gear. As soon as it was on, she looked towards the road and took a deep breath. But if she wanted to get to Rick and the others in time, she would need to cover ground fast.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lori watched as mia disappeared down the road. With each trot, the horse raced in the direction the girl sent it.

Seeing her go though, Lori immediate felt regret. What had she done? Her husband was missing Along with her friends, it would be getting dark soon, and everyone seemed to be missing. So she went to a little girl? A teenager who just lost everything?

She sent a kid to save her husband?