II. GREED

" Look to your kingdoms-

I am coming for them all."

- Elisabeth Hewer, Wishing for Birds

Greed (noun): intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.

___

STELLA KNOX WAS NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT.

She dives for the woman. The gun lets off an ear-splitting bang, the bullet narrowly missing its target. They both crash to the floor, limbs jumbling together. Stella grunts as a rogue elbow jams into her stomach. She struggles to pin the woman underneath her, grabbing her arms and bringing them above her head. The woman bites into Stella's hand and she screams, letting go of her.

Something hard wacks the side of Stella's head and she rolls to the side, the woman now out of reach. Then: the sound of a gun clicking into place. She looks up and sees the man, Walsh, with his gun trained point blank in the middle of her forehead. In the corner of her eye Stella sees the woman get up, pure rage clouding her sharp features.

This was it. This was how Stella Knox was going to die: alone in an abandoned parking lot. A strange sense of peace washes over her in that moment. It was over. No more stealing. No more drugs. No more killing. This is what Stella wanted, and now this was what she was going to get. She braces herself for the bullet.

But the woman takes one look at Stella and pauses. The anger is replaced by curiosity and a sort of manic glee that makes a shiver go up Stella's spine.

Then she realizes that her shirt is hanging off her body, revealing the inky black rose blooming on her shoulder. The mark of her gang.

"Wait," the woman lifts her hand. She was panting, lipstick smeared across her cheek. "I changed my mind."

She strolls towards Stella and crouches in front of her. Her manicured nails trace Stella's cheek. "You're a pretty little thing, aren't you?" Stella spits a mouthful of blood onto the concrete. The droplets match the woman's dress, making the Red Lady hum in satisfaction. "A dangerous beauty."

A door slams open somewhere in the building, followed by a man's angry shouts. The woman tilts her head in the direction of the noise. "Friends of yours?" Stella doesn't reply, but her body tenses at the crash of approaching footfalls.

"Huh. No kidding. You don't strike me as the type of person who has a whole lot of friends. Walsh," the woman gestures to Stella's curled form, "take her."

Walsh swoops her into his impossibly huge arms without a word. Stella's gaze never leaves the Red Lady, who was now poised against the wall, a small pistol between her fingers. The footsteps get louder, and two burly forms round the corner. The woman smiles.

Two shots and it's over. Red flowers bloom on the thugs' chests. The Red Lady gives a satisfied purr and walks away, her heels clicking on the concrete. Walsh trudges along after her.

"Little girl," the woman doesn't turn back, "I do hope you're worth the trouble."

___

THE LIQUID SLOSHING IN THE WINE FLUTE WAS THE PERFECT SHADE OF PINK.

The color reminded Nima of the time she took a trip to Japan during the cherry blossom season. A sort of nostalgia washed over her, remembering how the petals fell gracefully around her in a whirlwind of softness. The trip had been Nima's reward to herself after her second husband's unfortunate passing.

Nima couldn't remember a time where she felt more at peace.

She took a sip, the bubbly drink sliding easily down her throat. "Would you like a glass? It's imported from one of Italy's finest wineries."

The pretty little urchin didn't reply. She sat across from Nima on a luxurious satin couch, her back rod-straight and hands curled into fists by her sides. They were alone in Nima's private chambers. Walsh was, of course, waiting outside the door in case things got unpleasant. They always did, and the cause of the unpleasantness was usually spurred by Nima.

Nima pursed her lips in annoyance. "You don't talk much, do you?"

A muscle twitched in the girl's jaw. Suspicion and distrust was written in every line of her slender body. "What do you want with me?"

"Fine." Nima sighed. "We'll skip the pleasantries if that is what you wish. I brought you here because I saved your life,  and now you owe me. What I want is to find out what you can do for me." Nima's gaze flickered to the tattoo on the girl's shoulder, the edge of it only just visible. The girl's eyes narrowed.

"Let's start with the basics then. What's your name and how old are you?" Nima asked, leaning back. 

"Stella Knox. Twenty-one."

"Good. Now, why is a girl like you part of the city's most notorious gang?"

"So I can survive."

Nima raised her brows. They sat for a minute in silence. "I hear that the Black Roses have a new gang leader. A woman, around twenty years old. Know her, by any chance?"

"I might."

Nima set her glass down. She leaned in, her crimson lips enunciating every word carefully. "I want you to help me claim my throne. Do this for me, and I will grant your every desire."

"And if I don't?"

"Then say adios to the things you care about." Nima stood and made her way to the door. "I am a powerful woman, Miss Knox. Cross me, and I will personally see to the destruction of all the people you hold dear. If you value your freedom, then I will make it so that you will never see daylight again. Understood?"

Stella Knox remained frozen, as untouchable as the Mona Lisa. Then, slowly, she nodded.

"Good. Then we have ourselves a deal. Walsh will show you the way out. We'll contact you if your services are required. Be ready." Nima opened the double doors for her and Stella walked out. Nima waited for her to disappear down the hallway before closing the doors. "El Angél de la Muerte. Tacky, but appropriate."

That night Nima dreamed of fallen angels.

___

A/N: hi hello sorry this chapter is a mess omg!! also idk how frequent i can update cause i just got a new job and school and yeah ill try to stick to the schedule but no promises :(  anyways tell me what you think about Stella and Nima in the comments. feedback is much appreciated  ❤❤