The First Midnight Dose of Helium

Made the mistake of calling bitches my "besties" ~P

Phoebe's POV
**************
For starting the morning off on a completely empty stomach, it actually hasn't been the worst of days, rarely enough. As I walk down the hallways of Wellington High School, I head over to my spot at the declared popular table. I slip in between Sienna and Genevieve my best friends since childhood.

"Hey Pheebz you seem like u have more pep in your step today!"

Gen lets out a light laugh. I grin bumping her shoulder, but Sienna glares over halting our chat.

"Don't ever say that again Gen," she huffs.

Her dark eyes pierce the air between us as she stares us down. I try not to squirm under her agonizing gaze-- that I've come to know so well these past years. Her attention shifts only to kiss a good morning to her football boyfriend, Drew.

I roll my eyes at a smug looking Gen. She whispers leaning close, "How does grumpy get a boyfriend and we don't?".

I shrug.

"Guess Sienna Drake is just full of surprises," I chuckle.

"Uh huh, always," Gen agrees.

Soon the bell rings, reminding all students that the day is just beginning.

Gen breaks into a sprint shouting, "Race you to math!".

As the hallways start to crowd I chase after her wondering why in hell this girl is so eager to learn. Calculus at 8 in the morning is just ludicrous and definitely not my thing!
..............................
My marvelous day takes a shocking plummet during 6th period... My English teacher seems to avoid my presence all throughout class. This is the one class I love and seeing that Mrs. Hughes is paying me no mind sends my thoughts spiraling. Whenever my hand goes up, she looks right through me calling on anyone, but me. As she passes out our essays from last week I start panicking thinking I must've failed. My essay however, comes back clean of pen marks and at the top is a big red A. But the words that follow in spite of my grade make me shiver, SEE ME! Just those two simple words indicate bad news. Hello trouble we meet again...
At the end of class I make my way up to Mrs. Hughes's desk and plaster on a smile.

"You wanted to see me?" I ask.

Her lips don't even curl the slightest as she replies, "Yes, please wait a moment there is one more student joining us."

I sit back in my desk twirling my hair as a distraction from what's yet to come. Taking glances at my teacher I notice her lips stay pursed and her eyes are elsewhere. To my surprise Sienna walks in and takes the seat next to me. Mrs. Hughes turns towards us with eyebrows raised.

"Either of you care to explain?" she questions.

I scrunch my face in confusion, "If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you want us to explain?".

Sienna stays oddly quiet besides me as our teacher starts to shuffle through some papers.

"Sienna, Phoebe," she pauses drawing out our names.

"Tell me why you two turned in the exact same essay... This was not a partner assignment".

What I hear catches me off guard and I choke back a laugh.

"I'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about," I say ready to clear things up and get the heck out.

Sienna then pipes up, "Oh Mrs. Hughes this is my fault, you see, I was helping Phoebe get started on her paper since she was confused with the prompt."

Wait where is this going, I glare at Sienna.

"And..." Mrs. Hughes inquires.

"And...I remember leaving my finished paper on the same table where Phoebe was working. But then when she left, it was gone. I didn't want to assume the worst so I just printed out another copy and turned mine in," Sienna smiled innocently.

My mouth hangs open as I stare bug eyed at her. She is accusing me of stealing and copying!

"No-- I--" but I can't seem to form any sentences.

Disappointment radiates off Mrs. Hughes and throughout the entire room. My cheeks flare in embarrassment as I sit there paralyzed. I'm unable to move or speak. My best friend is a liar, a cheater, and a back stabber. My death stare only hardens as I sit there racking my brain for any reasons why Sienna would do this to me. She stole what is mine and is now claiming it as hers! Tears cloud my vision threatening to spill.

My voice cracks as I try to clarify, "Mrs. Hughes, I-- I wrote that essay, I spent hours on it, perfecting it to get this A. I went to Sienna's house to help her since she was stressed that she had such little time to write her own. I had my paper out the whole time. She copied it, not me. That is my hard work and I'm not letting her take credit for something I did!".

Mrs. Hughes looks perplexed as she sits there pondering her two students pleas. I desperately hope that she believes me because I have no one to get me out of this mess. The last thing I needed was losing a friend, especially after losing my parents. Ugh she thinks of me as her easiest target!

Mrs. Hughes's frown deepens as she sighs, "Ladies, I don't know who to believe but as punishment you will both have detention after class tomorrow and you will be given a new essay to complete, by yourselves. Although this was a superior essay the A won't count for either of you and you will both be dropped a letter grade. The highest you can receive for this assignment will be a B. I expect even higher standards & two very different essays".

I bite my nails to calm my nerves and to hide my shaking hands.

Our teacher's gaze softens a bit and she adds, "Ok you're free to go, for now. But I want no more problems between the two of you, got it?".

I nod my head scrambling out of my seat saying a quick, "Yes, thank you."

Sienna frowns, "Yes I understand, Miss. Sorry again and thank you".

Sienna's tone only sounds like venom as her words strangle me.

She beats me to the door and I almost miss her snide remark, "Don't leave papers around that aren't meant to be read, dumb bitch".

"Fuck you," I say, ready to punch the living shit out of her, but something stops me.

Instead of a bloody fist my heart breaks into a million pieces. Gen is making out with my all time crush Keegan up against the lockers. My jaw drops as I let out a low gasp. I quickly spin around, keeping my eyes glued to the floor and I rush out of this deceiving place. Wow! What great best friends I have or... had. I should've punched some fucking sense into them both and I should've known that the Anderson's just don't have "good days".

***************
Like it so far?! Well just to clear things up the notes tied to the balloon that Phoebe sends out are the words in italics at the top of the page. Anyways comment and keep reading!
<3 ~S