CHAPTER 1

Elijah's POV

For over a thousand years, my family has walked the Earth: The Original Family. We cheated death and escaped our father, who sought vengeance against my brother, Niklaus, as my mother had been unfaithful and bore the child of another man.

I stopped writing, thinking of how angry my father was when he had realized Niklaus was an imposter, not his actual son. But he is my brother, and I will not give up on him no matter what act he may commit. After a thousand years, Rebekah, Niklaus, and I are the last of The Original vampires. Bringing death to our family is a difficult task, as we are no ordinary vampires, but it isn't impossible. It still happens and will continue to happen, and I'm not about to let foolish infantry take my siblings away from me.

"Still writing in that god-forsaken journal, I see," my brother had lounged himself on the love seat, a glass of bourbon swooshing around its cup sat in his hands.

"Unlike you, I cherish every moment I have on this earth, seeing as I could be forcefully removed from it and stuck in that claustrophobic box." That seemed to keep him quiet, so I continued to write.

Because of our father's betrayal, Niklaus has never put his trust in anyone, always ready with a backup plan for if his fails to succeed. Now, as we've returned to New Orleans to win back our home and protect Niklaus's miracle child, I must put my trust in him, and hope this experience will change his hatred towards the world.

"Brother, stop fretting over Katerina. You were just a means of survival to her. Nothing more." It was just like Niklaus to make such pointless jabs.

"Katerina is not my priority," is all I said, but I couldn't help but picture the girl I knew back in England. Honest. Hopeful. Human. She was just a girl, cursed to be hunted by my brother. And that's exactly what happened. She turned into a vampire and escaped Niklaus for 500 years, plotting and scheming to keep herself alive. She could have been happy. Met the love of her life, had children, and when the time came, she would die. But my family took that away from her. My heart ached, I felt her pain, and excrutiating pain it was.

But none of that mattered, not anymore. I was to stay here with Hayley, the mother of my brother's child, and protect her. She was exquisite, and no matter how much I wanted to deny it, I cared for her.

"Oh, Elijah. When will you realize that women are what make us weak?"

"Maybe it's not the woman, but the desire to please her?" Rebekah walked in, obviously on a mission.

"What is it you are looking for, Rebekah?" I asked.

But all she said was, "Nothing."

I raise my eyebrow at her, but she doesn't seem to notice. She continues to look at Niklaus.

"Women are of no importance," he says.

"Oh, really? What about Caroline? Is she not important to you? Your problem, Nik, is giving up too easily. I bet if you tried a bit harder, she would've been yours. Instead you ran away like a coward before even finding out how she felt about you, or if she was playing some charade," she barked. I couldn't deny that it was the truth, but I felt a sharp pain of guilt in the pit of my stomach.

Niklaus had nothing to say, he just sat there staring at the ground, a glint of sadness in his eyes.

"That's what I thought," and she was gone.

Hayley's POV

I found myself in the kitchen, looking for something to eat. This pregnancy had me eating twice as much as usual. I opened a cupboard and found a bag of chips. Finally! I still haven't gotten used to this gigantic house. There's at least 30 rooms and I've only seen 10.

I go to open the bag, but a voice catches my attention. It's Rebekah, shouting at someone. Most likely Klaus. They haven't been getting along since Elijah came back. And I don't blame her.

"That's what I thought." What was that about?

I stand still, listening for more. Not long after, someone else speaks. "If you could go back in time, and change what happened, fix the problem that started it all, would you do it? Would you do it to be with her?" Klaus sounded sad, alone. I felt bad for him.

"Yes, I suppose I would." Elijah? Who was he talking about? I thought him and I had a connection. I thought that maybe when this was over, we could be happy together.

"Then go. Go after her, brother. It may not be too late." Wait, she's still alive? Is she a vampire? This changes everything.

Elijah's POV

"I can't just pack up and leave. You'd be lost without me. What's to stop me from coming back to find Hayley as just a bag of bones?"

"If you don't go, don't say I never gave you a chance when I finally rip her head from her body. After I torture her for wasting 500 years of my life." All traces of sadness disappeared from my brother's face, he'd returned back to his same-old, menacing-self.

"Watch your tongue or I will forcefully remove it." I stood up, warning him.

"Oh, I've touched a nerve!" he got up from his seat and held his face inches from mine. "Go on, tell me I'm the reason you'll never be with your poor Katerina," he was shouting now, "Come on, do it!"

I backed away from him, still holding his gaze. "You do realize that tactic no longer works against me, right? I won't be fooled by your foolish attempt to push me away."

"Don't kid yourself, Elijah. This isn't about me trying to evade family, it's about you not being able to accept the fact that Katerina just doesn't love you." He left me alone to process what he said. It's true that I've had doubts about Katerina's feelings for me, but was I really certain that she had none at all?