CHAPTER 5

Katherine's POV

I can't believe this is happening, I think, a grin spreading across my face. I try to stop smiling but I can't help it; everything's perfect. Well not everything. I'm still a fragile little human and Elijah has no idea. He has no idea, I realize.

Just then, the door opens and an extremely attractive man walks in. Stefan. I smile at him but he doesn't seem impressed that I'm here.

"I can't remember the last time I opened a door and you weren't there," he faintly laughs. He pauses waiting for my response, but I can't think of anything to say. "Seriously Katherine, why are you still here?" he asks.

"Am I bothering you?" I smirk.

"No, but-"

"Then why is it a problem?" I interrupt.

He tries his hardest to think of an answer, but can't. "I guess it isn't."

He turns to leave but I stop him. "Wait!" I grab his arm. "Can I ask you something?"

He looks back at me with those beautiful green eyes that render me speechless. Usually I have a soft spot for blue eyes, but Stefan's have just always mesmorized me. "If I wasn't a vampire, if I hadn't tried to be with both you and Damon. If I hadn't compelled you, could you maybe have loved me?" I look down, suddenly embarrassed.

He exhales. "Probabaly," he answers. "You were the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. From the moment we met, I envied every soul who knew you." His face lights up from the memory. "I wanted you for the rest of my life," he admits.

I hold his head between my hands, "Stefan, I am so sorry. For all the pain I've caused you." Tears role down my face as I think of death tearing me away from him.