Chapter 23

Tonny.

He opened the door when I felt the wheels of the truck stop, and jumped to the tarmac. My head turned every way, not studying the situation, but looking for her. There were too many people. Some recognized them from my previous visits to the center, others kept away and expectant, just curious. And then I saw her. He walked away from the entrance, dragging a rope, and attached to it, the nursery children. I sighed with relief, thank God, had remembered the games that taught them.

- ¡Maria!.-

She did not hear me, his attention was on taking the children to a safe place, where someone joined her. I ran like a madman at his side, and grabbed her by the shoulder, turning it to me.

- Maria.-

His eyes were filled with tears, but it was not just smoke.

- Rita, is within.-

- Granted, we will draw. Where was the last time?.-

- She dropped something roof ... ... his leg ... could not walk ... did I get children.-

- Focus, where it fell?.-

- Next to the bathroom door children.-

- Well, I'm on it.-

I turned my head and located the boss giving orders just 10 meters from me.

- ¡Head!, civil hurt inside. I Location.-

I saw him nod and make signs to act, so I motioned to Sandoval and Kowa, and stood by my side in seconds.

- With me. Civil wounded on the ground floor. I have his Location.-

- We're behind.-

I took Maria back by the shoulders and forced her to look at me.

- Let's get her out.-

She nodded mechanically, but could not say anything more. Although it was not necessary, he was written all over her face the "be careful". So I turned to the entrance and ... Shit!, I could not get there, not yet. So I turned and retraced my steps, as he pulled the helmet from my head, came to Maria, gripping her by the neck and swept her mouth with a kiss that had wanted him since ... well, that did not matter. I interrupted earlier than I wanted, but I had already diverted enough for that day. I put on the helmet and turned to the Hellmouth. That was my job, go to the places that the rest fled.

Sandoval and Kowa were waiting at the entrance, and although helmets covered much of his face, surprised expression Sandoval, and giggly Kowa, were impossible to hide. I gave them a pat on the shoulder, and walked there.

I walked with the speed and skill of one who knows the terrain and work. Soon we find Rita, a little before the place that Maria told me. The leg was not good, but the woman had not surrendered. He had crawled toward the exit, trying to get out by means of that place. The smoke was quite dense, and the flames were close enough to act quickly.

- Sandoval, help me load ..-

A rustle sounded over our heads, and the roof caved in to our side. I felt the blow on my shoulder, almost knocking me.

- You're good?.-

I noticed the hand of Kowa helping me up

- Yes. Open us way.-

Kowa nodded, and put his ax to work. You could make fun of his name, slanted eyes and his short stature, but Kowa was the bloody ninja axes. If outside blond it would be the reincarnation of a Viking bloody, but with his Asian appearance, put a long mustache and a helmet, and was himself Genghis Khan.

I noticed his shoulder burn Rita pass the arm behind my neck, but that did not matter. Sandoval took his place on the other side, and between the two we split the weight of the unconscious woman. Like a well-oiled machine, we walk in lockstep, following the path that was opening Kowa us.

When we stop the flames ago when my feet hit the asphalt, I felt the contrast of the cooler air outside. Rita dragged to the ambulance paramedics, and waited until I heard her cough, while the oxygen mask was placed on his face. I heard the order, and jets of water shooting out toward the building, and I noticed a slight pressure with my left thigh. When I looked down, I saw the body of Mary scared trying closer to the gurney.

- We took her to the hospital General.-

- She goes with you.-

I grabbed the hand of Maria, to help her climb the ambulance, and then I stood there, looking at how it went, until a sharp blow on my shoulder made me squirm in pain.

- ¡Shit!, ¡health!, we have a wounded firefighter here.-