Chapter Six

After getting no more information on my mother, I had settled into a slump of sorts. I knew that I could progress no further without Carol's assistance. I was at a total loss. A dead end.

Coming to terms with the fact that I had to give up my extensive efforts for finding my mother were the worst feelings I'd had in a long time. Like a dream was shattered. But what more could I do? The police had no leads, I knew that much from Justine and I trusted that she would hold nothing back from me. If Carol wasn't going to help me I have no chance of finding my mother alone. That was plain enough for me to see, regrettably.

Due to figuring this out, I had begun to swamp myself even more than usual with work. Cases were coming up to my ears and it was a most welcome distraction at this time. It was the only way I could go on about my life somewhat normally.

I'd been delving into old cases, some that were not even in family law, some so old the culprit might be long dead by now, just for the heck of it. Anything to keep my mind from wandering. This meant that I had been spending an unusual amount of time at work, longer hours than normal and sometimes starting earlier. Alex hadn't said anything about it so far as I made sure I was home by dinner time and left enough time for us to be a normal couple. Normal being the incorrect term here.

My life was far from normal right now, not that it had been prior to all of this mind fucked chaos. No definitely not normal.

Sitting alone on our building floor at my desk, I cast a tired gaze about the room, taking in the silence and the dull lighting that remained. Peter had wandered over to me at around 6pm and asked whether I was done. With a slight shake of my head he patted my shoulder before bidding me goodnight and shuffling off home for the night, therefore leaving me with the floor to myself and more space to think - joy.

Rubbing my eyes, I focus on the sheet of paper in my hands.  This was a case I had found in my digging and is several years old. This man has somehow managed to slink out from the cops grips and possibly continued offending. The file had been long forgotten and had laid undisturbed until I found it and released it from its dusty holds.

Now I was reading it intently. Skimming my eyes along the fine details, looking for something. I wasn't originally going to continue reading it, but something was niggling in the back of my mind about it and that something spoke to me. It piqued my interest and drove a wildfire through my veins. Awakening the resting beast in my soul.

Name: Tim Darwin

Age: 31

Background: Ex - Air Force engineer, he spent several years in his position before abruptly resigning from the role citing his lack of interest in the position. Despite this, he then went on to work as a mechanic in a small garage then moved on to repairing road vehicles such as tow trucks, street sweepers and garbage trucks.

Offences: Tim was charged by a young woman - who has withheld her name - for stalking. Tim had written letters to her stating his desire to be with her and writing glorified stories about their possible future together. He was taken into custody and charged accordingly, a restraining order was placed upon him also, but the woman refused to take the matter further.

Another case of a possible stalking involving Mr. Darwin surfaced a few months later but there was no evidence to prove this was in fact the case. No further investigation was made.

Intriguing. It's been a while since I've stumbled across a case like this. One that sounds suspect, but clearly the authorities can only do so much. Sometimes they come to a standstill even though they know somebody is up to no good. Their hands are tied because of certain laws or precautions. It's a whole load of shit, if you ask me. That's how the scumbags slide out of our grips and get away with the worst thing you can imagine, far worse than your worst nightmares.