Chapter One

The story you read is dependent on the choices you make. Characters' lives are in your hands. Entire plot lines will fail to exist depending on which decisions you make.

Here's how it works: at the end of each chapter choices will be posted. Cast your vote in the comments section. Whichever choice has the most votes will win.

I hope you all enjoy Hoax.

Good luck.
---------------------------------------------------

From upstairs I can hear them partying. My mom squeals and I hear a bottle crash against a wall. Someone coughs while somebody else inhales heavily through their nose. In her crib, Gwen sleeps soundly, tuning them all out. I smile. She is the only thing in this world that makes me smile.

Gwen is my half-sister. Our mother is a drunken drug addict that's banged about half the guys she hangs out with. Gwen's dad, Barney, is downstairs getting high off of something. My dad, Reggie, on the other hand is home alone right now. He doesn't hang out with mom and her crew, but that doesn't make me like him anymore than her. I see him every other week, but never once has he tried to get full custody of me.

He's a coward.

I roll over in bed so that I'm now facing the wall, and close my eyes. Tomorrow is Saturday which means more of mom's friends. I just want to be ready. As I drift off there's a shout from downstairs. It startles me, but not enough for me to get up.

* * *

"Kenny. Kenny wake up..." I open my eyes to see my mom standing over me. Dim light seeps through our shutters and onto her face making her bloodshot eyes and the bags underneath.

"What?," I say attempting to curl back up and sleep more. She grabs me by my arm and pulls me up.

"I need you to head to-," she coughs on me,"-the store."

I wipe the spit off my face. "To get what?"

Rubbing her eye she grabs a wrinkled list from her pocket. "Just grab these," she hands me a wad of cash,"and keep anything you don't use." Like that, she stumbles out of my room.

I set the the list and the money on my bed. Stretching, I walk over to my dresser, and pull out a pair of faded blue jeans and some grey socks. From my closet I grab my white tank-top and converse high tops. The money and list fit easily in my pocket.

The stairs creak as I walk down them. My mom's lesbian "friend", Megan, looks up at me as I come down. "Well if it isn't Reggie's twenty seconds." She laughs and lights a bong.

A guy with three teeth giggles. "More like Reggieth broken condom." He laughs some more.

"Shut the fuck up Banks," Megan says. She looks back at me. "You heading out to get the stuff?"

"Yeah, why do you guys need it?"

"Incident last night. No big deal. Just go get it."

I open the door of our small house in our small town of Deerwood. A breeze rolls by as I walk down the cracked, weed infested sidewalk. The roads are empty, and the sun isn't much higher than the horizon so I figure it must be about 6:00. The grocery store, Brakley's, won't open till 7:00.

Instead of waiting outside I decide to walk around town, making sure to avoid anyone from school. I'm not exactly popular, and the school bullies tend to find ways to torment me.

Across the street from me a homeless man sits. In his lap is a small sign that reads, "Spare Change Please. God Bless." This reminds me of the money sitting in my pocket. I feel my pocket and look at the man. He's old with a beard that comes down past his collar bone. On the ground next to him are a few broken beer bottle and what looks like a small box of cigars.

He looks at me.
---------------------------------------------------
A. Give the homeless man money
B. Give him spare change after shopping
C. Don't give him anything

I'll see you all next chapter. If you have any questions leave them in the comments and I'll try my best to answer them.

Thanks for reading!