#25

(double)

"So, I'll see you Sunday? Usual spot?" Tyler was hovering in the open doorway, hands tucked into the pockets of his hoodie.

"Of course," Troye nodded from his spot on the front steps. "Can't miss the last game of the year."

"Definitely not," Tyler smiled. As the seconds ticked by, his face turned gradually thoughtful, his gaze dropping to his shoes.

Troye wondered what Tyler was thinking, the silence making him nervous. His pulse sped up a bit, watching his friend fidget. Tyler seemed to be drawing his breath, readying himself to speak, but he never did.

After a moment, Troye went ahead. "Right, so I'll –"

"Thanks for –" Tyler spoke at the same time, and he looked up, blinking at Troye when they both stopped abruptly.

Troye laughed, seeing Tyler's face relax into a smile as well. "I'll see you tomorrow, alright?"

"Yeah," Tyler chuckled. "See you then. Be safe."

Smiling, Troye turned to walk down the steps. "I will."

When he reached the corner of the quiet, darkened street, he looked back to see Tyler still watching him from the doorway. A thrill went through his chest and he gave a little wave, grinning when Tyler did the same.

On his way home, Troye prayed that his friend's sudden appeal wouldn't have him ending up hurt somehow.

--