Simple Beginnings

I plan to put one to two stories from each year of Ron and Hermione's friendship/relationship starting with year 2. I just love to see how their relationship develops and changes throughout the different years. Enjoy!  

Snow was falling so fast and thick outside the walls of Hogwarts that it was impossible to see a foot in front of yourself. Thankfully, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were at that moment stationed around a merrily cracklings fire instead of freezing their fingers off in Herbology, which had been canceled due to the howling blizzard.

Ron and Hermione were sitting, or in Ron's case laying, on the shaggy embroidered rug in front of the fireplace, playing chess to past the time, while Harry sat in an armchair nearby; a frustrated look on his face. Ron, while waiting for Hermione to make her move, noticed that Harry seemed fidgety, as if he were sitting on a pile of sharp rocks.

Finally Hermione let out an exasperated sigh as one of Ron's bishops took out her remaining knight, "For heaven's sakes Harry, If it's that important to you, go and find Justin."

With a nod of consent Harry left through the portrait hole, determined to find Justin and explain what had happened at the dueling club.

Ron watched the portrait hole close before voicing the question that had been brewing in his head, "Do you think Justin will believe him?"

Hermione ordered one of her pawns forward before replying, "To be truthful, no. I don't think Justin, or many people for that matter will believe what Harry has to say."

Ron, slightly frustrated, prodded his castle forward harder then he meant to ("Watch it Laddie!"). "How thick can everyone get? I mean who in their right minds would possibly think that Harry is the Heir of Slytherin?"

"Ron, you saw what happened at the dueling club," said Hermione looking sternly at him, "What you, and everyone saw, was Harry speaking Parseltongue to a vicious snake that looked like it was attacking Justin. No one since Salazar Slytherin has been able to talk to snakes, and now Harry comes along and is able to do it. People are bound to be suspicious. "

"I suppose you're right." sighed Ron. "I still intend to stick with him though, whether every single person in this castle believes he's Salazar's heir or not."

Hermione gave him a small smile, "So will I," Suddenly her face darkened, "But I can't help feeling that there's something Harry's not telling us."

"What!" exclaimed Ron, sitting up abruptly. "But we're his friends. What wouldn't he be telling us?"

Hermione reached across the chessboard, the game completely forgotten, and placed a reassuring hand on Ron's arm. "I don't know what he would be hiding from us, but I can't help feeling, that no matter what happens, there will always be some kind of barrier between us and Harry." 

Ron stared at her as the dying firelight played off her face, reflecting in her eyes.

"He's been through more than both of us. We'll just have to stick together so that we can support him even if he doesn't tell us everything that's going on."

Ron simply nodded his head in agreement, consciously aware of the warm, comfortable weight of her hand resting on his arm. He was a bit disappointed when she removed it. A thoughtful silence fell over both of them broken only by the low murmur of conversation from some sixth years doing homework.

Hermione let out a trembling sigh.

"Ron, I've been meaning to thank you and Harry for some time now."

Thank us for what? Ron thought but did not say so aloud and merely glanced at her, waiting for her to continue. "To thank you for being my," She swallowed stiffly. "For being my friends."

Ron looked at her with surprise, she was staring into the flickering fire, her eyes were glassy.

"It's just that I never had any friends before I came here. Nobody ever wanted anything to do with me unless it involved teasing. So thanks." She finished shortly. Ron thought she looked very close to tears. The last thing he wanted was to have her crying.

"It's nothing, really. Me and Harry think you're a great friend." Ron mumbled. 

Hermione gave a weak smile and swiped a hand across her eyes. They finished their chess game in silence; Ron won within three moves.

"We should clean up and get our school books. Transfiguration starts in fifteen minutes." Ron stated, breaking the awkward silence that followed the end of the game.

"Right." agreed Hermione, wiping her eyes again and beginning to sound more like her usual self. While they were cleaning up the chess pieces Ron's fingers accidentally brushed against Hermione's, making him draw his hand back quickly, and blush for some reason.

"I'll meet you back here." Hermione stood up, with a slight blush in her cheek, and made her way up to the girls dormitory.

Ron hurried up the stone stairs to his own dormitory. He pushed open the heavy wooden door to find Neville searching frantically under his four-poster bed. "Hi Ron," Neville glanced up at him, "Have you seen my copy of Stander Book of Spells? I can't remember where I put it."

"Sorry Neville, haven't. If I see it, I'll let you know." Ron walked over to where is own books lay scatter about on his bed, and began gathering them up.

"Ok, I'll check the common room." Neville headed for the door but turned back with a concerned look on his face. "Are you ok Ron? You're face is really red. You don't have a fever or anything do you?"

"What?" exclaimed Ron, a bit surprised, what did Neville mean? He wasn't sick. "I feel fine."

"Oh, ok. I just wanted to be sure." Neville gave him an apologetic smile, and closed the door.

Ron hurried over to the large mirror standing in the corner and was surprised to see that his face was indeed a brilliant shade of red. His ears practically glowed the same color as his hair.

Why did Hermione always have this kind of effect on him? What kind of effect exactly he didn't know, but sometimes she would cause him to feel uncomfortable, or clumsy, or a bunch of other things. After meeting her last year he had, at first, thought she was a book wormy know-it-all, and..well...he still thought that, but there was something different. He couldn't put a finger on it.

He shook his head. He would have to think more about that later. Hermione was probably waiting for him.

He repeated that thought again in his head. He liked the way it sounded. She was waiting for him, not Harry and him, just him. Smiling to himself, Ron checked his watch and saw that they had only five minutes before class started. Ron picked up his book-bag and ran down the marble stairs to the warmly light common room.

Upon seeing him, Hermione smiled broadly. Ron grinned back. And was still grinning as he walked over to her.

Stop it. He told himself, clearing the stupid smile off his face, thinking about how strange he must have looked.

"Shall we go then?" he asked. She nodded in agreement; and side by side they left through the portrait hole.