Short and Sweet

"They were there, both of them, sitting outside Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor — Ron looking incredibly freckly Hermione very brown, both waving frantically at him." --JK Rowling, POA  

  "Ron, just put it back in the box before you hurt someone."  

Ron was proudly twirling his new wand, flourishing it ridiculously until it emitted a burst of orange sparks and accidentally set a dry patch of grass, poking up from a crack in the road, on fire. The fire fizzled out in a moment but it was enough to leave Hermione fuming.

"You could have hurt someone!"

"Relax, I'm putting away." Ron hastily shoved his new wand back into its box and stowed it safely inside his bag.

Hermione and the Weasley family had arrived at the Leaky Caldron early that morning and after unpacking their things, the entire clan had traipsed off to Diagon Alley to buy their required school equipment. Once there, they had divided into groups. Fred and George; Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, Percy; and Ron and Hermione. It would take less time to gather all their supplies this way. Also, Tom, the barkeeper had told them that Harry had been staying there for a while already and they were all anxious to see him. Though they hadn't had much luck yet finding him.

"Can we nip over the Quidditch Supply Shop?" Ron glanced sideways at her, knowing very well that both her knowledge and patience with the sport was lacking.

"If we have to. Maybe Harry will be there."

A group of younger boys was goggling at the Quidditch shop display window. Despite only being thirteen, Ron was a head taller than most of the other children and was able to see over their heads to the Firebolt in the window, it's polished handle glistening in the sun. He gaped in awe at it. Hermione, who was quite a bit shorter, found it difficult to get a glimpse of what Ron was staring at. When she saw what it was she rolled her eyes.

"It's only a broom, let's—

"Only a broom." Ron closed his eyes looking highly offended. "Hermione, it's a Firebolt!"

"So?"

"So, it's only the fastest racing broom in the world! All the pro Quidditch teams are buying them."

"But I thought the Nimbus 300—

"2000!" Ron corrected her looking exasperated.

"Nimbus 2000 was the fastest broom." Hermione finished glaring at him.

"It was, but they have to keep coming out with new models, don't they?" Ron explained. It was a humorous scene really, normally it was Hermione doing the explaining.

With a 'humph' that meant Hermione was both annoyed with Ron and understood what he was telling her, she walked into the Quidditch shop, Ron trailing after her. They spent about fifteen minutes there, Hermione rifling through her bag of newly purchased books seeing as she was completely uninterested with her surroundings, and Ron examining with wonder all the latest Quidditch equipment.

As soon as they left the shop Hermione felt considerably less grumpy. They sauntered down the main road, not headed anywhere in particular. Occasionally they saw fellow Hogwarts students some of who gave a wave of greeting.

At one point they came across Lavender Brown and Pavarti Patil coming out of Madam Malkin's each with a bag of new robes.

"Hi Lavender, Parvati." Hermione greeted them out of politeness. "Did you have good holidays?"

"Hi, Hermione!" Lavender smiled at her. "Pretty good."

Pavarti nodded in agreement, "You?"

"Mine's been good."