Chapter Eleven

Sam's POV

After the words left Jacob's mouth, the room went silent as we all processed them. My immediate reaction was a firm no. What could those bloodsuckers do to help? Our noses were as good as theirs, so it wasn't like they had some advantage there. And with that little pixie being unable to see us wolves, she couldn't help us—assuming she'd be able to get a read on Kinley in the first place, since they'd never met.

How could Jacob seriously suggest turning to them? I studied his face to see if he was joking. Maybe he was trying to lighten the mood.

Nope. His expression was solemn. Honestly, he was looking a little fierce over there. Dominance rolled off him, not far enough to reach me but a clear warning—

Either I'd deal with this using the Cullens' help or Jacob would take this, and the entire pack, into his own hands. He would step up as alpha if he saw the need, and a kidnapped imprint was definitely worthy of the sacrifice. Despite myself, I felt a surge of pride.

Still, I didn't want to make him take the title until he was truly ready, and I wasn't sure I wanted to hand over control of finding Kinley to anyone.

So I reassessed. The Cullens had a family of seven—eight if you included Bella, which none of us did. She'd be of zero help to us. One could see the future, which wasn't particularly helpful at the moment since all that came up when the wolves were involved was blackness. Another could read minds...that could be helpful. And then there was another that could feel and influence emotions. I wasn't writing him off as useful or useless quite yet. The rest of the Cullens were normal, as far as we knew, but their leader was a doctor—definitely an asset. They also had that huge guy who could intimidate anyone. The two other females...I had nothing to say for them. One was nice and nurturing, so maybe that could be good for Kinley? But we also had Emily, who Kinley was already comfortable with.

Pulling myself away from the direction my thoughts were spiraling down, because I was wasting precious time, I focused back on the decision I needed to make. Go to the Cullens? Or no?

Based on my reverie, they could be valuable to our search.

I didn't think on it any further before I said, "Okay. We'll go to the Cullens."

Surprisingly, it wasn't any of my pack brothers who spoke up in protest—it was Emily. "What? No! Sam, you have to see that's a terrible idea!"

Peering down at her distraught face, I shook my head. "They can help us, Em. We don't have time to waste. We need to find her now. Who knows what he'll do to her?" I shuddered, barely refraining from picturing just what might have been happening to my sister at that very moment. "We're going to the Cullens."

Emily's eyes filled with tears. "I don't like this."

"None of us like this."

"Sam—"

"No," I said, cutting her off and ending the conversation. "You stay here. Who knows, maybe this whole thing is a fluke and she'll be brought home shortly. Someone needs to be here for that." Even as the words left my mouth, I knew they were complete bull.

Em knew it too, but she also knew me and surely she could see that I was reaching the end of my patience on this. "Fine," she said softly, resigned.

"I'll let you know the moment we find anything," I promised, leaning down to give her a quick peck on the lips before leading the pack outside. "Alright," I said. "Collin, Brady, and Leah stay here and run patrols. Keep your noses keen to anything that may be out of the ordinary. If you find something, Leah can decide how to proceed. Don't go too far from the rez, though—if something is leading you too far out, call me or Jacob and we'll figure something out."