Kid 1

Ever since a child, Karen had always been fond of her father's master's son and although there was an enormous gap between them, with age, social status and lifestyle, she just didn't see it. She grew up seeing Mr William McQueen II as her prince charming, her hero and knight, and shining amour, but William always treated her like his younger sister because that was the only thing she could be to him.

William's parents died in a plane crash while coming back from a business meeting in Paris after he turned eighteen and, although young, he had to take responsibility for the family businesses and company worldwide as he was the only heir to all the McQueen fortune. His inexperience, coupled with his age, made everyone want to take advantage of him, everyone except Samuel Butler, his father's ranch keeper. William grew closer to Samuel as his father and took the advice and counselling to heart, and it did him well until he could handle the companies on his own.

Samuel Butler died four years later after struggling with a brain tumour. After Samuel's death, William took responsibility for Karen, who then was nine years old. Karen's father was the only relation she had left because her mother died during her birth and, more than anything, William was ready to repay the goodness Samuel had shown him as a child. William took over the position of being both Karen's father and older brother and hadn't fallen short since.

In the last nine years, she'd grown to understand him more and although she hated the fact that he was overprotective, she loved the fact that he would always make time out of his busy schedule to see her and come for dinner whenever she invited him to. He would also make out time for all her PTA and the minor events that always took place in her school.

Her heart grew for him and she couldn't help falling in love with him every day even when she knew she shouldn't, but little did she know her love was going to have consequences or worse, be the death of her. 

****************************

When the school bell goes off for dismissal, I walk out of the school block and head for the limo waiting for me at the car park when I hear the voice of Chloe, my best friend. “Wait up Karen.”

Although I don’t stop, I slow down, letting her catch up with me. She comes to where I am; breathing hysterically and I roll my eyes, knowing Chloe has always been a terrible actress. “Hey Chloe,” I smile, although the smile does not reach my eyes. “Do you need a ride home?” I ask.

She smiles widely, her beautiful blue eyes radiating. Chloe always loved the fancy life. “Of course I do. Not everyone had a wealthy guardian like you do.”

“And you never let me forget that.” I remind her in a sing-song tone.

“That’s because it’s the truth, girl.” She nudges my arm playfully and my bag slips off my shoulder. “By the way, Bruce Walker asked if you’re gonna be his date on Friday at prom.” She squeals happily, like she’s the one being asked out.

My eyes roll involuntarily and reply, “Well, if Bruce wants someone to take to the prom, then he should take it upon himself to ask that himself?”

Chloe raises her hand in surrender and takes a dramatic step backwards, “I guess you’re right girl,”

Chloe and I have been best friends since the fifth grade. She is the girl I’d like to call the well-created kind of girl; beautiful with her long, curly, blonde hair and blue eyes. She’s also interactive, easy-going, social and with the right body type that can get all the guys attention in school, while I am the exact opposite the only leverage I have is that everyone in the school knows I come from the richest family in the state and one of the richest in the country.

Sometimes I envy her because the only place I can compete with her is the brain part or maybe my preservation, modesty and intellectual ability, but that’s it.