Chapter 13 - Perfect Family

Gabi's POV

I started cackling as they finally drew out the slip of paper for Bayern and paired them with Manchester United, leading Toni to stare at me in confusion. The look on his face caused me to laugh even harder and flop over backwards on the couch.

"What's so funny?" he demanded.

"You are going to Manchester!"

"Gabi!" he rolled his eyes. "That's not even funny!"

"It is! A few days ago you were all 'Gabi, I'm not going to Manchester,' and now you have to go to Manchester!"

"I'm going to Manchester to play against them, okay? Not for them."

"Okay," I giggled. "Promise."

"I promise. Jesus, Gabi. Come on, we have to get to the hospital."

I got up, turned off the television and followed Toni out to the car. It was just a couple of days after our wedding, and we had an ultrasound scheduled. Toni had told me over and over that talks were still ongoing with Bayern and that he wasn't going to move if they could reach an agreement, but I couldn't help but worry, especially since those talks didn't seem to be going anywhere.

I wanted our babies to be born in Germany, in our home country, where we were both from. I didn't really fancy all the hassle of having babies in another country. But I was pretty sure that an agreement would be reached, even though Toni was so mysterious and aloof about the entire thing.

He smiled and leaned over to give me a kiss as I settled on the medical table in the doctor's room and waited for Dr. Gerber.

She appeared with that motherly smile of hers, sliding over in her chair and dragging the ultrasound machine together with her.

"How're our favourite twins today?" she beamed.

"Fine, thank you," I smiled.

She spread the gel over me and placed the detector on, moving around until she saw them on the screen. "There they are!" she pointed.

We were getting a little better at reading the black and white blur, so this time we managed to see what she was seeing. "Can you see their gender yet?" Toni asked.

She was silent as she navigated my bump. "Well...boys are usually easier to tell, for obvious reasons," she laughed. "But it really depends on their positions. For now, I can only see one of them, and it's a boy."

"A boy!" I exclaimed. "That's so cool."

"Could they be two boys?" Toni asked eagerly.

"Probably, but as I've told you during your previous scan, they're non-identical. The most common combination for that is a boy and a girl."

Toni gazed at me happily. "One each," he whispered as he leaned over and pecked my forehead gently.

"A boy and a girl," I giggled. "That's perfect."

"It is," she beamed. "It's not always that two eggs get implanted at once."

"You have magic ovaries," Toni leaned over and whispered in my ear.

"Toni!" I smacked him on the shoulder.

"And a magic uterus," he added.

"Stop flaunting your knowledge of the female reproductive system!"

He didn't reply, he just beamed at me proudly. This led Dr. Gerber to laugh loudly as she moved the detector over my belly for a while longer before putting everything away and handing me a clean towel. "Everything's fine," she informed us. "You can come back in around three weeks to a month."