Chapter 6- Fluffy and Flamel*

The following morning, I barely had the time to sit down for a cup of strong tea in the Great Hall before Daphne came to sit by me.

"Where were you last night?" she demanded in a low voice. "Draco was so angry when you didn't come back that we had to stop the game! Pansy still had to kiss Crabbe before we left, though."

I snorted with laughter, choking on the sip of tea I had just taken. "You know, Daph, I don't know what I find funnier-- the thought of Draco throwing a tantrum or that of Pansy having to swap spit with Crabbe.  He's revolting!"

She began to giggle but bit down on her lip to stop. "Oh, hush, Y/N, she didn't deserve that!"

I was about to reply when the post came in, hundreds of owls swooping down with the usual letters and small packages. I could Draco gloating up the table as he unwrapped the licorice wands his mother had sent him. Six large screech owls were carrying a long, thin package that could only be a broomstick. When the animals dropped it unceremoniously on the table right in front of Harry, knocking his greasy bacon to the floor, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Of course it was Harry's. 

"How come Potter received a broom?" Blaise asked, sliding in beside me. 

"No idea," I blatantly lied. "Was last night truly as bad as Daphne is making it out to be?" 

He rolled his eyes. "Far too much drama for my liking, but I suppose that was to be expected. You didn't miss much."

"Speaking of that, Y/N," Daphne interjected, "I thought you said you needed to use my owl? Apollo was in the same place he always is this morning when I checked on him."

Blaise raised an eyebrow and I sat back, innocently glancing away. "I forgot I'd already sent my letter off. Sorry, my parents really don't appreciate my answers being late."

He sighed as he pulled the latest purple letter from his pocket and reticently ripped it open. "I know the feeling."

As soon as breakfast was over, I spotted Hermione waiting for me by the doors. I strolled up to her with a teasing smile. "Hello, Hermione. Are you over flying or would you like to give it another go today?"

She chuckled, hitching her bag over her shoulder. "Forget flying, I just want to read a book! Do you have a free period now?"

"I have half of one," I said, checking my watch. "Herbology is for an hour and a half today."

"Perfect, there's time for the library then!" she said, cheerfully tugging me up the stairs. 

As we reached the top, we were met with a chortling Harry and Ron, who looked particularly pleased with themselves. 

"Can't believe you got to keep the broom, mate," Ron said proudly. "The look on Malfoy's face!"

"Well, it's true that it's in part thanks to him," Harry snorted. "If he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouldn't be on the team..."

"So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" Hermione angrily interrupted, crossing her arms over her chest. 

Harry raised an impatient eyebrow at her, his smile fading. "I thought you weren't speaking to us?"

"Yes, don't stop now," Ron chimed in. "It's doing us so much good."

"You know what would do me good?" I stepped in, taking my friend's defense. "For you to keep your stupid opinions to yourself once in a while, Ron! Come on, Hermione."

I grabbed her arm and marched us away. She led us to the library, and we sat down in the very back, at a table half-hidden behind a shelf of books.