Chapter four

2 weeks have passed by after the little incident and Temperance hasn't said a single word to me about it. Jack hasn't showed up at work either, so that's a good thing at the very least. Just as I'm about to leave Cam walks into my office. "So, what's going on between you and Dr. Brennan? Aren't you two like best friends?" She asks me. "Nothing's going on, Cam." I reply to her. "You'll tell me if there is anything wrong, right?" She asks me on a serious tone. "Yes, Cam! Now please, I'm going to grab lunch with Wendell and I'm already late." I say, a snarky undertone in my voice. "You and Wendell? Are you guys back together?" She asks me. "No! No we're not back together! Can't two friends eat lunch together?" I snap at her. She raises her hands as a 'Alright fine' sign and walks away. I sigh loudly and kick my desk, which immediately leads to a high pitched scream. I grab my bag and limp out of my office, screaming once again as I push on the pull door.

"You did what?!" Wendell asks me with big eyes as I poke my sandwich with my knife. "I kissed Temperance. And now she's not speaking to me." I reply. "Like a full blown french kiss or just a kiss on the lips?" He asks. "Just a kiss on the lips. She did stay that night but next morning she was gone before I woke up. She didn't even leave a note." I say to him, sighing. I accidentally drop my knife and it makes a loud sound as it hits the plate. "God fucking damnit!" I yell out. "Sorry! I'm really sorry." I apologise to the people at the diner looking at me. "Maybe you should just give her some time, perhaps she doesn't know how to handle with her best friend having a crush on her. You know how Dr. Brennan can be." He says, laying his hand on mine to comfort me. I sigh, cracking a tiny smile at him. "Maybe, but she's been ignoring me for 2 whole weeks already, and I don't know if I can take much more of that." I say to him. I shake his hand off of mine and finally take a big bite out of my sandwich. "Should I talk to her? She'll surely reply to me." He suggests. "If you want, I'm not going to force you." I say with my mouth half full. He chuckles softly, taking a bite of his hamburger.

As I walk into my office I see an upset Temperance leaning against my desk. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" Temperance basically yells at me. "Oh so now you're talking to me." I reply to her, laying some paperwork on my desk. "Where in your head did you think telling Wendell about what happened was a good idea? I've been ignoring you for a reason Angela, and that reason is not so you can go ahead and tell everyone!" She says to me. "Tell me the reason then! Tell me Temperance!" Her face changes from an angry expression to a shocked expression, since I never call her Temperance. "I just.. I don't know how to handle you being my best friend but also the same person who has a crush on me." She says to me. "I get that, but is ignoring me really a better solution than talking to me about it?" I ask her, crossing my arms. "Well, no. But I just didn't know how to bring it up. Especially not after I left really early the morning after," She says, not looking at me but sighing. "I'm sorry Ange." I walk towards her and wrap my arms around her in a tight hug. "You don't have to be sorry. You just don't have to be so lovely or this would've never happened." I say to her, I can feel her chuckle.

"Were you okay when you left the office this afternoon?" Temperance asks me, sitting down on a the couch on the higher platform while I make us both a coffee. "Hm? Oh, yes. Just hit my toe against uh, my desk is all." I say to her as I walk back to her giving her her mug. "Ange, both Cam and I saw you kick your desk. It's okay to be upset, we're alright now, right" She says to me, cracking a smile. "Yeah, but! I uh, I wasn't upset about that!" I say, stirring my coffee like crazy. I hear Temperance laugh softly. She's so adorable when she laughs. "Why did you fall for me?" She suddenly asks me, causing me to look at her. "Have you seen yourself? You're so beautiful. You're funny, have amazing intellect, and an amazing pair of eyes." I say softly, blushing ever so slightly. "Alright, that's it." She says, I raise an eyebrow at her. "We're going on a proper date."