10: It Can't Be

"Fine, explain what the sh*t is going on." I grunted in frustration, shifting to the side slightly to face him.

He pinched his nose and closed his eyes. "I have stepped down as the leader of the group and Roderick took over my position. His aim is to pay back twice as hard for beating him into a pulp the other day." I tensed at his words before he continued.

"And to get his hands on you." He mumbled the last part lowly and silence engulfed the room.

By the time he opened his eyes, I had shifted to face the ceiling. I closed my eyes and silently whispered, "It's all my fault."

If it wasn't for me, Chase would not have gotten into an internal conflict with Roderick and had to avoid being seen by his former group.

Why did I even cause so much trouble in the first place? All of it wasn't even worth the while.

I was pulled into something warm as fingers ran down my hair. "It's not your fault. I chose to quit the group after realising a lot of things. And I will protect you from Roderick."

Opening my eyes, my eyes met his warm orbs as he planted a chaste kiss on my forehead.

I nodded, snuggling deeper and deeper into his embrace. And I had fallen asleep with the warmth I had.

A good sleep after so many sleepless nights.

++++

Waking up, morning rolled by quickly and it was already afternoon. Sh*t happens when I'm a heavy sleeper. Nothing could wake me up.

The sheets were creased slightly as I assumed that Chase had gotten out of bed.

Rolling off the bed, I found a note on the nightstand with messy handwriting.

I have some matters to deal with. Will be back soon.

- Chase

I entered the bathroom and washed up quickly. Since I don't usually wear make-up at home, I don't need a lot of time to wash up.

Besides, the load of housework that I had to do was overwhelming. We had agreed between us that I would be staying in his house until Monday.

He will pick me up, to and fro for school from Monday onwards, so as to protect me from him.

I didn't mind it as long as I could stay out of trouble.

Bending down, I picked up a few socks laying across the floor, pinching my nose in the process.

Soon, I became engrossed in cleaning the whole house which took me hours to get the cleanliness back.

I didn't know if the curtains were supposed to be black since the color didn't change when I washed it.

Either that, or he had not washed the curtains for years which would sound kind of gross.

Washing my hands, I opened the fridge to scan the ingredients before settling with a simple chicken rice.

It took me hours before dinner was eventually ready. The only problem I had faced was that the chicken was too large for me to cut down into smaller pieces.

I sighed, knowing that I would always be weak. What would happen if I was stronger?

Maybe I wouldn't have to rely too much on Chase. Or perhaps I could fight back against Roderick.

Arms were wrapped around my waist as I jumped in fright. Turning around, I heaved a sigh in relief when it was Chase.

I swatted his arms away and glared at him. "Don't do that. We're not even close."

"Then what are we?" He demanded, anger written all over his face.

I blinked furiously, trying to think of a word to describe our relationship. What were we?

Couples? Impossible.

Friends? As if.

Strangers? Sounds too extreme.

"You're only here to protect me." I blurted out, not knowing where those words came from.

I certainly did not speak from my mind.

His jaws clenched tightly as he stared at me. I looked down to see his fingers curled into a fist.

"Before you beat me, have some dinner first." I said, handing him the platter before spinning on my heels.

However, his fingers had my wrist in a tight grip as he stopped me from exiting the kitchen.

"What makes you think that I will lay a finger on you again? Didn't I promise that I won't?"

++++

Vote. Comment. Share.

Enjoying this book? Add this book to your library and your reading list.

30th August 2016