 19 ~ ryder

*Unedited*
Ryder

     Drops of something wet dribbled out of the corner of my mouth and down my chin, tickling my sensitive skin. A giggle rose in the air, echoing inside my ears at least ten times.

     "'ould 'ou s'op 'at." I mumbled, annoyed.

     Another giggle sounded, causing me to grind my teeth. "What?"

     My eyes flashed open. "I said, stop that!" I yanked my body up, almost having a heart attack. "What on—Astrid!" I flew into the ocean. "What was I doing there? Why was I in your freakin' arms! What were you doing? What were you thinking? Astr—"

     My head was dunked underwater, and I burst up, sputtering.

     "Would you calm down?" She giggled—again—nervously, her face tinted scarlet. "I didn't have a choice! This piece of wood from our boat was the only thing big enough to hold me, and there wasn't enough room for you, and I decided not to let you drown, and—"

     "You decided?" I deadpanned.

     "Yes, I decided. Now stop interrupting. Anyways, there was no other place for you to go but on top of me, and I didn't want to be in the water, and you were asleep, and—"

     "Just stop, Astrid. Please, just stop." I closed my eyes, hoping my face wasn't as hot as it felt.

     "Sorry." She squeaked.

     Why did she apologize? It's not like she killed an innocent sea creature. "Don't you ever do that again. And I mean—"

     "Okay."

     I sighed, shooting my gaze skywards. I was surprised to find the moon was already substituting the sun, shining as bright as it could. The dark gray clouds managed to intercept some of the light, but apart from that, the whole world was an inky blackness.

     "Oh Ryder? By the way, there's some weird stuff sticking out of the sea. They look like bushes or—"

     "Astrid?" My gaze found the 'weird stuff' she was gabbing about.

     "What?"

     "They're not bushes." My head started to ache.

     "What? Of course they are! Oh wait..." Her voice diminished into a small whimper.

     "They're trees."

     "Oh."

     "Do you know what that means?" I asked as if she was a child, patronizing her.

     She glared at me. "I'm not stupid Ryder."

     "Of course you're not." I smirked.

     "Listen, I wasn't the one who killed a—"

     "It's Vordix, Astrid. An island that has killed way more innocent creatures and people—people Astrid—than I have and ever will. And if you don't stop..." I struggled to get the right words out of my mouth. "If we don't stop, then we will be one of those innocent people." I stared at her in the darkness, feeling the guilt of what I had to do weigh upon my small conscience. "I'm sorry Astrid." My voice was so quiet I almost thought she couldn't hear it.

     A sigh fluttered from her lips. "It's okay Ryder. I understand."

     No. You don't. You don't understand at all Astrid.

     "You just woke up from your sleep. I don't blame you." She shrugged.

     A weak smile tugged at my lips. "Yeah."