Dan

Age 7:

"Come on Aidan!" I called back to my best friend as I ran through the forest, trying to show him the cave I found. The cave was hidden and I had brought a couple lanterns, board games and blankets to it before so when Aidan came over we could hang out there. It was basically my second home, and the only thing that could make it even better was my best friend. Well, maybe an internet connection too,but that's what my house is for. That and playing video games, like Sonic.

"I'm coming, Dan! Just slow down!" He called to me, panting heavily. I slowed down a bunch letting him catch up before I sprinted off again, laughing. "Dan!" I only laughed harder, running for a bit longer until finally slowing down permanently. He caught up just as we reached the mouth of the hidden cave, our shoes ruined from the muddy terrain. "Where is it?" Aidan asked me, squinting his brown eyes as he stared at the mound of dirt in front of us.

"Right here." I said. He just looked lost. "Follow me." I walked to the left of the mound, got down on all fours, and lifted away the bush blocking the opening big enough for an adult to fit through."Oh." Aidan said, getting down on his hands and knees too,gesturing for me to go through. I crawled through the space, revealing a big room the size of my lounge back at home. I turned on all the lanterns as I let Aidan react to his new surroundings. Once I was done, I stood and looked at him expectantly.

"So? What do you think?" I asked, curious. It was a quite big room, we could play in here for hours, we had blankets to keep warm. It was perfect.

"It's pretty cool, Dan. You know who would love it here? Abbie." No no no, no one could know this place was here. I wanted it kept as a secret, something important to me. Surely Aidan can see that. It's a special place and it's a privilege for him to be here. I live in the middle of nowhere, and am driven to school. He could never find this place again. I just wish I knew how to say no. Then I realized something that could be used as an amazing excuse.

"Nah man, there's a strict 'no girls' rule. Wouldn't want the other boys in school to think you're a pansy, right?" As I said this, he started to nod in understanding.

"I get it man, it's just that it's almost Valentine's Day and I want to ask her to be my valentine. Surely you understand."

"Yeah. We should go, mum's probably made dinner. It's taco night!" I said excitedly, rubbing my hands together. He nodded and went back over to the exit, leaving and I followed.

I vowed to myself that day to never bring anyone there again. Never.

Age: 13

I winced as my feet made the wooden stairs in my house creak loudly. I adjusted my foot's placement, and continued on. Once I got downstairs, I made my way to the bathroom and sneakily took my mum's straighteners. It was like, 3 in the morning and I was bored and curious to know what I'd look like with straight hair. Having curly hair, especially if you were a boy, was not cool. I often got teased for it, too. I looked left to right, checking if anyone had somehow gotten downstairs during the time I was in the bathroom. No one was there, so I went as quickly as possible up the stairs, not making a sound, thankfully.

I got into my room, shutting the door gently. Thankfully, there was a mirror in my room. I sat down on my desk chair in front of said mirror, and plugged in the straighteners. Then I took out my phone and played a game, 'cause this was going to take a while.

After about 10 minutes, I lightly poked the metal of the straightener, and almost burned my hand off. It was definitely hot enough now. I ran a brush through my short hair, cringing at the puffiness of it. Picking up the straightener, I grabbed a section of hair with my other hand and clamped down, pulling it until the end of the section of hair. I marveled at how straight it looked.