Chapter 14 Smiles From Heaven

Fisher's POV

Mr and Mrs Wiles sent me home to Fort Worth before I could object. Within the next few days I called every day to check on Indie. School started, but my grades went down faster than the Titanic. All i could think about was Indie and how I could've stopped her from riding that bull. One afternoon, after 3rd period, my phone started buzzing wildly. "Hello?" I answered it. "Hon?" My mom's voice cracked over the phone. "Sweetheart, I think you need to come home," She barely got the words out before I heart her sobbing. "Mom! I' coming right now!" I said. I shoved my phone into my pocket and sprinted down the crowded hallway, ramming people as I went. I raced across the parking lot and jumped in my truck. I turned the ignition and the old truck sputtered to life. I floored the gas pedal all the way home.

I ran into the house and turned the corner where I saw my and dad sitting. Now I knew something was wrong, Dad never came home early. He worked at a Classic ropes manufacturer . "Son, come here," He said calmly. "Sit down," he said motioning to the chair across from them. "Indie passed away this morning," He said. Silent tears rolling down his cheeks. I stared at them in shock. "No, she's not-" They cut me off with their sad faces. This couldn't be happening. I burst out of the house and into my truck. I flew to the hospital where Indie was. As I entered the waiting room, Indie's Dad stood in front of a door. His solemn face confirmed my worst nightmare. "Where's Indie?" I asked. He looked up from staring at the ground. 

"She went to be what she always was," His voice croaked. "An angel,"  We stared at each other for a minute. My vision was blurred because of the tears in my eyes. My heart was shattered. "She woke up before she left," He said. I looked up. "She said, "Daddy, please tell Fisher that I love him, and I'll see him in heaven," 

 -*-*-*-*-*-*-

I straightened my black tie as I walked up to the podium at Indie's funeral. I turned to face the audience. "In the few months I was privileged to know Indie, She brought butterflies into my stomach every time I saw her." "She was a special girl, but you probably already knew that," "The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained." "I don't know why the Lord took Indie home, but I can assure you that it was for a good reason," "Sometimes we don't understand the Lord's will until further down the road." "I won't be sure until then," I stepped off the podium. Somehow, I felt Indie smiling at me from above.

        In loving memory of Seth Ring "The Ringo Kid," 

             February 2nd, 1998- January 30th 2016