1 | The Purchase

The ocean was calm, with small ripples just disturbing the surface. The long rock wall at the mouth of the nearby river protected this small part of the Pacific Ocean from the usual 2 meter waves.

His eyes scanned the sparkling waters as the sun glistened in its reflection. "One of these days, I'm gonna buy myself a kayak!" thought Billy dreamily.

Billy Smith, a tanned young single guy, loved the beach – the sand, the water, the sea gulls swooping and squawking overhead. He often thought about kayaking out over the turquoise waves on a warm afternoon and watching the sun set behind the tall buildings. On one such afternoon, while jogging at his favourite beach, he was seriously considering buying a sleek ocean kayak, one he could strap to his car's roof racks and bring to the beach whenever he needed a break from his stressful job.

He was an IT guy who went around fixing everybody's computers before they got bricks thrown at them or thrown out the window themselves. He was good at his job, but the peaceful beach was his escape from mind-boggling technology and exasperated clients. He often came here with his best friend Emily Carson, and together they enjoyed jogging, slow relaxing walks on the sand, swimming in the powerful waves, and sitting on the clean white sand eating freshly caught fish and chips while being dive-bombed by lazy yet persistent sea gulls.

He'd been thinking about buying a kayak for a while now, and had researched just the one he wanted. The boating shop had a great sale, so Billy decided now was as good a time as any to go ahead and get it. He'd even decided to upgrade to the two-seater so he could take Emily out with him on his oceanic adventures.

On a bright sunny Saturday, with his roof racks firmly in place, he went to the shop and picked up his latest acquisition. He was so excited, he went straight to Queens Beach to try it out. Strapping on his lifejacket and juggling the paddle, he carried his kayak over the sand to the shoreline, enjoying the salty air and cool spring nip in the water. The waves at the edge of the tide washed over his feet as he placed the kayak awkwardly down before pushing it out and jumping in. It took a few tries to get out beyond the breakers, but once there, gliding through the water felt so good and was exactly what Billy had pictured so many times. The sea breeze blowing in his face and the waves splashing up at him were so refreshing. It was all so beautiful!

His well-muscled arms easily pulled the paddle through the water, drawing him further out. Billy grinned, enjoying being surrounded by the jade depths of the Pacific Ocean. He wondered how deep the water was, and how many fish he could catch if he were to bring his fishing rod next time. Gazing further out, he noticed some swirling motions in the water a dozen yards ahead of him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this is Billy!! I've scoured the internet trying to find people who look the most like the characters in my head, and I'll be adding the pictures as the story progresses and new characters are introduced!What do you all think of the story so fa...

What do you all think of the story so far? What's going to happen to Billy while he's out kayaking?