25 | The Heart's Answer

Hey Everyone! Sorry that it's taken me so long to update, but it's just that time of year with everything happening at once lol :) And I'm still not sure what direction to take the ending, as it's my first long book :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Stay."

The single word echoed in Emily's mind before reverberating into her heart. Was it a question? An order? Looking into Jace's eyes, Emily could see the war going on behind the forest green depths. It was a question, but it was also a statement. A statement of his longings and desires, and possibly love for her. 

But did he love her? Did he really want her to stay here with him? Emily didn't know.

She felt him gently squeeze her hands, perhaps impatiently waiting for a response.

"Jace, I – I don't know..." she stammered as her heart thudded, and she couldn't help the frown that crept over her face.

"Will you marry me? Emily, I love you," he leaned closer and whispered those last few words so quietly she had to read the look in his eyes, the look that could only be love. Why hadn't she recognised it before? She wasn't used to it, that's why. Jace had always been just a friend, her best friend. But she realized it was something more; had always been something more. Maybe he cared for her just as deeply as she cared for him.

"You want me to marry you?" she managed to squeak out. Her heart was doing crazy flip-flops, and ordinarily she would have probably thrown her arms around Jace's neck and say she loved him in return. But now, it was an even bigger decision to admit her feelings for him. The last 24 hours she'd told herself that this was it, she was saying goodbye to her best friend and nothing more would come of their friendship. But here was Jace, offering her the choice to stay here and be with him; marry him.

But...she hesitated, and her frown was mirrored on Jace's expectant face. Did God even want her to stay here? Wasn't this Jace's path? He had been chosen to come here and fight for this land, and he had made the sacrifice to save the people and bring peace. Why would she be allowed the opportunity to stay and live here?

"Yes, my darling Emily. I don't know why I've never told you before, but you are way more than just a friend to me. You're my best friend, my closest friend, one I can't begin to imagine living here without. I want you by my side forever, Emily. I want you to be my wife; I want to see your beautiful smile every day, hear your laughter, hold your hand as we go for long walks together...."

She smiled brightly at his words, hope springing up in her heart as it reached her face. But there was still so much to consider. Could she really leave her old life on Earth behind?

"I feel the same, Jace...and," her thumping heart made it hard to hear her own thoughts, "and of course I would- would love to stay here with you and get married, but...but can I?" Emily looked around her as Jace continued holding her hands.

Everyone was still preparing to leave, chatting in groups and saying their goodbyes. She saw the Sen Cyrians and Tiritians further up the hill, and wondered what it would be like to live here amongst them. She'd always thought her life's mission was to be a witness to the people on Earth; that was why she wrote songs, poems, and stories about Jesus' love and sacrifice, His mercy and redemption. Maybe she could still do that here. Maybe she could live for Jesus in any dimension or universe; maybe here with Jace she could continue to do God's will.

"I'm sure Cyrus would love to have you stay. Afterall, you fought just as hard in the battle, why wouldn't you be able to live here and be accepted among the people?" he gently tugged her closer and the water sloshed around their ankles as Emily stepped into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder.