Prologue

The world was eerily silent and the sun hadn't risen yet, the sky was still a dusty navy blue and the full moon was clearly visible in the open wooden window infront of us. I was always afraid of that window. It was perfectly aligned to me, if a kidnapper jumped in, I'd be the first to go. Beyond the window was nothing but sand, hills and hills of endless sand.

Our chamber was long, consisting of twenty beaten down charpaya beds and twenty slaves that slept in them, including myself. We were lucky enough to be sold to the king, some slaves are sold to nobles that only provide one bed per four slaves. The king is the richest person in the land therefore being able to supply us each with a bed. Don't get me wrong, he might give us a bed each but he is still the most monstrous person I have met.

Wrapped in my arms was Mina, a slave who had just recently been sold by her parents, only seven years old. She was silently crying againts my chest while I rubbed her back. We were cocooned in a white cloth, keeping us protected from the cold breeze of the night.

"Shhh shh" I whispered, bringing her closer to me. "It's okay, I'll never leave you my Mina" I cradled her. She sniffled, tightening her grip on me.

"Naeva" She whispered. I replied with a hmm."That's what Mama said too" She choked, crying harder. My chest tightened, tears formed into my eyes as I stared into the darkness. We'll get out of here one day. I promise. I rubbed her head, which seemed to calm her down while tears still ran down my rosy cheeks. But I quickly swallowed them back, closed my eyes and drifted away into sleep again.