Aurora│Sneak-Peek

Excerpt 

**

The skies thundered above them, forks of light illuminating the angry grey clouds overhead. The air held the scent of rain, warning them of an incoming storm. But it didn't bother them. There were matters far greater than the simple worry of a natural calamity.

A terrible war was drawing closer and they knew it.

They stood huddled, in the corner of a lone street, shrouded in darkness and yet visible to the hidden eyes that watched. The streetlights flickered slightly, and the first few drops of rain drizzled upon them. It didn't provide much relief to them, but it was a start.

"I am so sorry...this is my fault!" the girl cried.

Tears leaked down her eyes, the shimmering liquid reflecting various hues of gold, brown and black of her eyes. The wet trails painted her pale cheeks, giving her a ghostly appearance. But she didn't seem to care. There was too much on her mind, too much at stake. Things had changed for the worst and now they were suffering.

The pain in her heart had grown slowly and steadily, creeping on her and making her aware. And now, she couldn't help those feelings that overwhelmed her, that dripped on to her lips in the form of tears and hurt. She couldn't stop them from falling, not now when the clock was ticking, reminding them of the inevitable end.

They could only watch from the sides, as their lives moved towards eternal doom.

"Please don't give up on hope, my love." He whispered, even though his weak voice told a different tale. He didn't seem to care about the situation, much. All he wanted was to stop her from crying and erase that heart wrenching sight, from his eyes.

Her eyes were filled with such remorse that it was unbearable for him to watch. The physical pain it inflicted on him was like being continuously punched into the chest, knocking out the air from his lungs and making it hard for him to breath.

He wanted to wipe away the fear, the gripping sadness that was etched on her beautiful face. But there was no way to end this misery. They were coming back, to take her away – to take away the love of his life.

He could try fighting them off but deep down he knew it was all useless.

Her Father had pushed them into a corner and stifled the happiness they had shared. Their love was forbidden – something that should have never happened between beings such as them. But he didn't regret his fall, he loved her dearly and he always would.

"Shh...  It's alright. Please don't cry, my love." he caressed her forehead, brushing off the silvery white wisps of hair from her face.

The touch made her cry harder still and she stared up at him with all the love that she had. She couldn't wrap her head around the things that were happening to her. Her world revolved around him and now it was all coming crushing down because of her Father.

"How will we ever get out of this?" she whispered as she clung to his abnormally warm body.

"Do I need to remind you, my love? Please have some faith in me. All is not lost... not yet." he whispered and smiled down at her, kissing her soft tear-stained lips.

"I still have a few loyal soldiers under my command. You will be safe with them."

Her eyes widened and she gasped. More tears streamed down her eyes and she threw herself into his arms sobbing her heart out onto the thin fabric that covered him. She shook her head, trying to make him understand that it was impossible for her to leave him, it was impossible for her to stay apart even for a second. How could he expect her to live her life without his presence in it? She would rather die, than leave him.

"Your Majesty!" a voice cut through the darkness surrounding them, and they both pulled away in surprise.

This was the signal they had waited for, he had waited for. It was time for him to take the decision and move forward.

A look of furious determination glowed on his face and he gripped her by the shoulders.

"You must go now!"

'No...' she whimpered trying to pull out of his grip, shaking her head back and forth in denial.

"I will find you my love, like I always do. We are running out of time, please you must go now!" he gripped her chin and forced her to look him in the eyes.

He dipped his head, savoring the taste of her skin one last time before letting her go. She kept screaming, thrashing and calling out to him, but he stepped back and allowed his faithful men to carry her away...away from the blood bath that was about to follow.

"I love you." her voice filled the air around him, like the soft moonlight they had strolled under countless times.

"I love you too." he whispered back hoping she could still hear him, that she could still feel his beating heart that yearned for her.

He hoped that she would wait for him, wait for him to find the path leading to her heart...wait for him to pick up those lost pieces of their love and unite again.

**