Moving Along Slowly

Wow. It's been almost four months since I've updated this fic; a lot of shit has happened and I got busy with life but I am back, and with a whole new plot! I honestly had no idea where to go with the story until now so ... Let's hope you're still interested. Let's get on with it.

...

8:32pm

"Well, Ally, right now you're barely at two centimeters and we need to get to ten." Dr. Griffin informed the anxious parents to be as she retracted her hand from under the pale blue blanket that covered Ally's petite body on the hospital bed. "This could be a while."

Ally's face scrunched for a moment before relaxing, her grip on Normani's hand loosening a bit. "Well how long, exactly?"

Dr. Griffin shrugged, pulling off the sanitary glove she wore in order to check Ally's progress and disposing of it, putting both her hands in her lab coat with a sympathetic smile. "There's really no way to tell. It could take from just a few hours to up to 72. I personally was in labor for 43."

Normani winced when she felt Ally's nails dig into her skin hearing the doctors own labor story. "Ally, baby, I doubt you'll be here that long," she reassured sweetly, running her free hand through her wife's honey blonde hair. The last thing she needed was a temperamental Ally on her hands.

Her wife was a ray of sunshine most of the time.

An angel sent from heaven you could say. But the woman could also turn into the devil sent from hell and Normani did not need to see that side of her wife today.

Even though, logically speaking, she knew she would.

Dr. Griffin chuckled at the terrified look on the small woman's face. She got that look a lot with first time mothers. "Trust me, no matter how long it takes, it's all going to be worth it once you hold your beautiful twins in your arms for the first time. You'd want to go through it all again." She smiled and gave Ally's leg a gentle tap. "I'll come back in an hour to check you again."

The parents to be nodded and thanked her politely as she left.

"Well," Normani plastered a big anxious smile onto her face, sitting down in the seat next to Ally's bed, keeping their hands clasped. "I guess we have some time to kill. At least we have a private room." She gingerly stroked Ally's hand with her thumb and gave her wife a gentle smile, eyes filled with adoration.

Ally returned the look with loving eyes and a grimace of pain as she squeezed Normani's hand tightly, feeling a wave of pain take over her body as a contraction hit. "Oh fucking shi- ow!" She whined, screwing her eyes shut tightly.

Normani felt both sympathetic for her wife and dread of going through this herself in the future but pushed that into the back of her head and concentrated on Ally. "Ally, Ally baby look at me," she stood up off the chair and instead sat down in front of her wife on the bed. "Look into my eyes and concentrate on me. Not the pain. Think about our beautiful babies who will be here soon."

Ally opened her eyes, looking deep into Normani's beautiful dark chocolate brown eyes that she loved so much. She let out a deep breath as the pain subsided, her eyes glazing over as she stared steely into her wife's eyes, whispering forcefully.

"I want the fucking epidural."

...

11:12pm

The waiting room a hall down from Ally's labor room was small, mostly empty save for Camila, Lauren, Dinah, the new grandparents to be, Harper and Amelia.

Sinu, Alejandro, Andrea and Derrick sat in a corner of the waiting room, quietly discussing their daughters and their new grandchildren.

Camila sat with Harper in the middle of the room, skimming through a magazine as her daughter played idly on her phone beside her. Lauren was across from her wife and daughter, with her almost three year old asleep on her lap with Lauren's jacket covering her small body as Lauren scrolled through her phone.