Potwalloper or Navigator? Part 4

"Well there Captain Pendleton, sir," said Jack

"Well there Captain Pendleton, sir," said Jack. I thought that maybe you could put some of your maritime skills to work on behalf of a good cause there sir? You know what I'm a talkin' 'bout?"

"Do I look stupid to you? I knew as soon as you turned the ship east that you'd be a'knockin at my door a'looking for a way to use my skills, there sonny boy! You're a resourceful lad and not afraid to take some risks but you are an arrogant son-of-a-bitch! What makes you think I'd help you steal my profits by sending the darkies back to where they came from?"

"Well," said Jack, "I'm not only an arrogant son-of-a-bitch but I'm a believer in the goodness of human nature and captain, I know you deep down to be a good man. I know you don't much like slavin' on the high seas and torturing those poor folk, breakin' up their families and even killing some on the way to the cotton fields and sugar plantations. I think you would rather do something good for a change and so there, Captain Pendleton, that's why I called you up here this fine morning sir, to see if you can guide us sir to the African coast and back, in fact, sir, all the way back to Charleston. I can't say I'd ever give the ship back to you, sir, because I'm afraid the slave trade would be a bit too tempting for you just as it's been in the past. No, this ship will be turned over to the federal authorities in Charleston when we arrive back there a few months down the road. But I'll not have you arrested and will allow you to go free before we anchor in Charleston Harbor, sir. You can even jump ship in Africa or Jamaica, if you prefer. I'll make sure that you get enough of the gold you've stored in your cabin to help you get a new start. The other choice, my good Captain Pendleton, is to continue pot-walloping all the way to Africa and all the way back to Jamaica and all the way back to Charleston where, I'm afraid sir, you will be arrested for murder and for illegally importing African slaves into the United States of America. Now sir, I hope you'll agree, ya just don't find a deal like that every day!"

I had remained silent throughout the entire exchange as we three sat in the captain's cabin. I was totally unconvinced that Captain Pendleton could be trusted. Jack, I thought, was being totally naïve. Pendleton would turn on us at the first opportunity. But I said nothing and observed Jack's clever but foolish offer.

"What makes you think I'll be true to my word if I do say I'll go along with you," said Pendleton.

"That's easy sir, your good friends, Morris and Andrew, who I assigned to watch you like a hawk but also to help you when you needed help, will be with you 24 hours a day and they have my standing order to throw you overboard if, at any time, you do something stupid like try to signal another ship or in any way try to prevent our return of the African people aboard this ship. And sir, Morris might not throw you overboard. He may, with my blessings, choose instead to snap you in half. Are you hearing me sir," Jack said.

"I hear you there whipper-snapper!"

"Aboard this ship thar Captain Pendleton, it's Captain Jack."

"Captain Jack, then," Pendleton said.

"Back where I come from we shake hands to seal a deal," Jack said, extending his arm toward Pendleton.

"It's a deal then," said Captain Pendleton, shaking hands with Jack.

"It's a deal then, Captain Jack!" said Jack.

"Yes, it's a deal then, Captain Jack!" the former captain said.